What can you do with this major?
Students studying arts management are preparing for careers working in the administrative offices of theatres, museums, symphony orchestras, galleries, arts councils, and other types of organizations that facilitate arts and cultural events. With an Arts Management major, you could coordinate an outdoor art fair, market a community theater’s season, or write grants for a museum.
Some of the businesses that have hired our grads include Wisconsin Public Radio, the Francis Hardy Center for the Arts, Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, New London Public Museum, Green Bay Symphony Orchestra and the Art Garage. Other grads are working for public relations corporations, economic development organizations and touring with Broadway shows.
Want to know more about the nature of the work, working conditions, earnings, training, and job outlook for these occupations? Then check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
A career in Arts Management has been called “the difference between making a living and making a life.” Students who graduate with an arts management major or minor are qualified to seek employment in theaters, museums, galleries, orchestras, arts councils or performing arts centers. Graduates of the program are working in arts organizations around Wisconsin and around the country.
Businesses that hire arts managers include:
- Arts councils
- Symphony orchestras
- Musical organizations
- Theater companies
- Event promoters
- College theatre and music departments
- Film companies
- Booking agencies
- Community centers
- Historical organizations
- Dance companies
- Comedy troupes
- Arts advocacy organizations
- Public radio
- Public television
- Economic development organizations
- Touring companies
- Music schools
- Opera companies
- Community theaters
- Performing arts centers
Businesses that have hired our grads in recent years include:
- Arts Events, Inc.
- Milwaukee Ballet
- Wisconsin Public Radio
- Green Bay Symphony Orchestra
- Tennessee Performing Arts Center
- Francis Hardy Center for the Arts
- Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts
- Arts Alliance of Clackamas County
- New London Public Museum
- Fox Cities Performing Arts Center
- Weidner Center for the Performing Arts
- Schauer Arts & Activities Center, Hartford
- United Performing Arts Fund, Milwaukee
- LifeSkills Center for Leadership, Minneapolis
- Epiphany Productions, Minneapolis
- Stella Adler School of Acting
- Delaware Art Museum