Become a Camp Lloyd Buddy
A Camp Lloyd Buddy is...
- Good Role Model
- Likes working with children ages 7-14
- Likes participating in “camp activities”
- Is a self-starter
- Understands that children work through grief in the context of play.
Note: The Camp Lloyd 2014 intern (buddy) application deadline is November 7, 2013.
Individuals who would like to be buddies should be people who truly care about children and want to support them in the grieving process. We are looking for individuals who are seriously committed and will complete the internship for start to finish. All training dates are mandatory in order to participate in this program.
Interns must understand that they will be role models for the campers and need to be positive and set good examples. Although we expect our Interns to be well versed in their understanding of grief and common reactions children may experience, they are not allowed, nor are expected to function as therapists. Interns must work well with others and be flexible. They should have lots of energy and be willing to participate in “camp activities” such as crafts, swimming, hiking, and games. They need to be comfortable leading these types of camp activities with children ranging in ages from 7 through 14.
Benefits of Being an Intern (Buddy)
- A chance to be a part of a life changing experience for both campers and students
- 3 Human Development Credits (not necessary to be a Human Development Major)
By participating in this internship students will receive 3 Human Development credits and be a part of something that has the potential to be a life changing experience for campers and interns alike. Please seriously consider this if this internship is for you and contact Dr. Illene Cupit (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Requirements: Prior to becoming a counselor all applicants must:
- GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- Have completed or be willing to enroll in Death, Dying, and Loss (HUM DEV 344) prior to the beginning of camp.
- Attend ALL training sessions as well as participate in the camp. The times that the camp would run would be from 8:30 through about 6:00. Times would include debriefing/orientation sessions.
- Show evidence of a completed TB test.
- Agree to a criminal background search.
- Agree to read all required material for the internship.
- Agree to keep a journal,complete a paper, and the 100hrs necessary to fulfill credit requirements.