Academic Rules and Regulations

Class Attendance Policy

Students are expected to attend all class sessions in the courses in which they are enrolled. In the event of illness or death of a family member, the Dean of Students Office will assist with notification of instructors. Students who do not attend classes during the first week of the semester may be dropped from the course by the instructor unless they notify the instructor in advance of the reason for non-attendance and indicate intentions to complete the course. Students who attend classes during the first week but not thereafter also may be dropped from the course by the instructor prior to the drop deadline. Registered students-whether they attend class or not-are obligated to pay all fees and penalties as listed on the fee schedule. Non-attendance does not alter academic or financial obligations.


Academic Suspension - a status assigned when a student's record of academic progress and/or achievement is unacceptable. Suspended students are not permitted to continue to enroll at the University.

Attempted or Grade Point Credits - those graduate credits for which a letter grade of A, AB, B, BC, C, D, WF, or F has been earned and used to calculate the grade point average.

Credit Load - the total of all graduate credits, undergraduate credits, and audited credits being taken in a given term.

Good Standing  - a status assigned when a student is achieving at an adequate level (3.0 cumulative and semester grade point averages).

Grade Point Average (gpa) - a numerical value used to express the general quality of all courses/credits completed on a regular graded basis (A, AB, B, BC, C, D, F, WF). Only attempted graduate credits taken at UW-Green Bay are computed into the graduate gpa.

Grading System and Grade Points

Letter GradeGrade Points
A    (Excellent)4.0
AB   (Very Good)3.5
B    (Good)3.0
BC   (Above Average)2.5
C    (Average)2.0
D    (Poor)1.0
F    (Unacceptable)0.0
WF   (Unofficial Withdrawal)0.0
PR   (Progress-temporary grade for an internship, professional project or thesis course)No effect
P    (Passed thesis, professional project or internship)No effect
NC   (Unacceptable thesis or internship)No effect
U    (Unsatisfactory audit)No effect
S    (Satisfactory audit)No effect
N    (No acceptable report from instructor; temporary grade)No effect until an acceptable grade is submitted
I    (Incomplete)No effect until removed, or lapsed into the tentative grade assigned if the required work is not completed prior to the deadline established by the instructor or the last day of classes for the following semester, whichever comes first.

Graduate Credits - those credits which are taken under a graduate course number (500-level or above) by a student enrolled with a graduate classification.

Graduate Record - the permanent record of all graduate-level credits attempted and grades earned, including courses which may not be completed, such as progress (PR) or incomplete (I), as well as audited graduate credits.

Maximum Credit Load - a specific limitation of the number of credits that a student is allowed to carry at any time during an academic term. For a graduate student in good standing, this is defined as 15 credits in a semester and for a graduate student on probation the maximum is reduced to 9 credits. For a shorter term, lower pro rata limitations are in effect.

Minimum Credit Load - a specific minimum number of graduate credits for which a graduate student must be enrolled in a term to be eligible for a variety of programs and benefits, such as V.A. benefits, financial aid, and assistantships.

Probation - an academic status assigned to a student who is achieving below minimum gpa standards required for good standing. Probation is an advisory warning that improved quality of work is necessary to continue as a student.

Provisional Admission - a conditional graduate admission status which is subject to review after nine graduate credits have been attempted at UW-Green Bay.

Undergraduate Record - a separate permanent record of any undergraduate courses taken. A complete transcript includes copies of both the graduate and undergraduate records compiled at UW-Green Bay.

Academic Standing

Every student is expected to maintain certain standards of academic achievement in university work. UW-Green Bay has established quality of work standards, as measured by semester and cumulative grade point averages.

Academic standings are reviewed at the end of each term and students on probation or suspension are notified by letter.

Probation and Suspension

The University is concerned about students whose academic achievements indicate that they are unable to meet expectations of their instructors or that they are experiencing other problems that may interfere with their studies. A probation action is an advisory warning that a student should take action to improve his or her achievement. An academic suspension action is taken when the University feels that the student's academic achievement record to date indicates a need to interrupt enrolled status to reassess and reevaluate goals and plans. A student who is placed on probation or suspension status should give careful consideration to factors involved. The University encourages such students to seek assistance from counselors, graduate advisers, and course instructors.

Every student is expected to maintain at least a B average (3.0 gpa) on all graduate work carried, whether passed or not. Failure to achieve this minimum B average in any term results in a probation, continued probation, or academic suspension action at the end of that term, as shown below. Academic suspension actions are taken at the end of each term.

1. Student in Good Standing

Grade point requirements and actions:

  • A 3.0 or better end-of-term cumulative gpa results in continuing good standing.
  • A 2.0 to 2.999 end-of-term cumulative gpa results in probation status.
  • A 1.999 or less end-of-term cumulative gpa results in academic suspension status. Student's graduate committee reviews his or her record up to that time and recommends for continued enrollment or for the suspension status to go into effect.
  • Action on part-time students is withheld until at least nine credits are attempted at UW-Green Bay.

2. Student on Probation

Grade point requirements and actions:

  • A 3.0 or better end-of-term cumulative gpa results in a return to good standing.
  • A 2.999 or less end-of-term cumulative gpa may result in an academic suspension status at the end of any term after a cumulative total of 15 or more credits is attempted at UW-Green Bay. Student's graduate committee reviews his or her record up to that time and recommends for continued enrollment or for the academic suspension status to go into effect.


Academic probation is a nonpunitive warning that is not subject to appeal. Academic suspension status may be appealed by means of a special appeal to the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies. The dean may seek advice from the Graduate Faculty Board of Advisers. Appeals must be filed within two weeks after the end of the semester. A student who is allowed to continue will be on probation and is subject to any other special conditions that may be designated. Any appeal must include a clear explanation of the problems causing the inadequate achievement and how the student proposes to resolve those problems.


Readmission after an academic suspension is not automatic. The dean of the college of professional and graduate studies may decide to deny or to grant readmission subject to specific requirements or conditions. A student who is readmitted after an academic suspension is always readmitted on probation and is subject to normal standards of achievement required to continue as a graduate student. An application for readmission should be submitted to the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies at least 30 days in advance of the desired term of admission to allow for the review process.

Grades and Grade Appeals

Each student receives a grade from the instructor in charge of a course at the end of each semester or session. Grades must be in the Office of the Registrar no later than 96 hours after a final examination. Information on current grading policies accompanies the grade rosters distributed by the registrar each semester.

If a student is dissatisfied and wishes to appeal a particular course grade, he or she must first contact the instructor who issued the grade. If the student is still dissatisfied, he or she may appeal to the program chair who must, in turn, consult with the course instructor. A student who wishes to appeal beyond this level consults with the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies who then consults with the instructor and the program chair. The dean acts in an advisory capacity to the student and instructor.

Grade Changes

All final grades, with the exception of incompletes (I) or progress (PR), become permanent grades at the end of the following semester. Any discussions with faculty regarding grade levels or missing (N) grades must be pursued within this time period.


If a student is unable to take or complete a final examination or other course work, due to unusual but acceptable circumstances, he or she may arrange with the instructor to receive an incomplete. The instructor files an incomplete removal form, stating both the conditions for removal and the deadline, before an incomplete grade is accepted for recording. A tentative academic action may be assigned on the basis of grades and credits received in other courses. Tentative actions are reviewed after the incomplete has been converted into a permanent grade.

Incompletes for Graduating Students

Students who expect to graduate in December must have all incompletes removed within 15 working days following the end of the fall semester. Students who expect to graduate in May must have all incompletes removed within 15 working days following the end of the spring semester. All grades on the record become permanent as of that date with no possibility for removal or change.

Removal of Incompletes

The course instructor sets a specific deadline for removal of an incomplete and informs the student and the Office of the Registrar. If no earlier deadline is specified, an incomplete (I) must be removed no later than the last day of classes for the next semester.

The incomplete removal form is filed with two tentative grades. One indicates the quality of work to date; the second is to be assigned if no more work is completed.

A student may file a special petition for an exception to the incomplete removal deadline if bona fide unanticipated extenuating circumstances prevented compliance with the removal deadline. These circumstances might be valid:

  • The student has serious physical or mental health problems, which are documented by statements from a physician or professional counselor.
  • The student has had a death or serious illness in the immediate family and this is documented by a physician's statement.
  • The course instructor is on leave during the semester for removal.

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat a course only upon special petition to the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies. All repeated courses are designated with a letter R after the grade on the transcript. When a repeated course is completed, the original grade and entry on the transcript remain on the transcript, but the credits, grade, and grade points earned for the most recent completion are the only course records that affect cumulative attempted credits, grade points earned, and the grade point average. Courses repeated at another institution have no effect on the grade point average at UW-Green Bay.

Minimum and Maximum Credit Loads

A graduate student in good academic standing may register for any number of credits up to a maximum of 15 credits per semester. A student will not be allowed to register for credits in excess of 15 if he or she does not have prior written permission from the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies to carry an overload. Additions of any course that would have the effect of exceeding the maximum will not be processed if prior overload permission has not been granted.

A student may register for or reduce a program below nine credits in a semester with the understanding that for certain purposes he or she will then be considered a part-time student. A student who reduces graduate credit level below nine should consult the appropriate offices about implications for financial aid, government benefits, and other programs with credit load eligibility stipulations.

Maximum Credit Load for Probationary Students

The maximum semester credit load is nine credits for a graduate student on probation.

Course Adds

Once enrolled, students may add other courses to their programs if such additions do not exceed the maximum credit load limitation and if adds are completed before a specific deadline. During a normal semester the add period is limited to the first two weeks of classes (or 15% of the course duration if shorter than 14 weeks).  A student may petition for an exception if unforeseeable extenuating circumstances prevented deadline compliance.

Course Drops

The course drop deadline is established to give students ample opportunity to discover what content a course will cover, the type of readings and projects to be assigned, the instructor's teaching style, and the methods of evaluation. In some courses, feedback from a formal evaluation process may not be available before the drop deadline. In such cases, it is the student's responsibility to contact the instructor before the drop deadline to obtain information useful in making the drop decision.

The phases of the course drop policy are:

Through the end of the second week of a 14-week semester or 15% of the course duration if shorter than 14 weeks – student may drop any course via SIS

  • permanent records show no drop

Third through sixth weeks for 14 week courses or between 15% and 40% of the course duration if course is less than 14 weeks

  • student may drop any course via SIS
  • course appears on permanent record with a DR (dropped)

Seventh week through the end of the semester or after 40% of the course duration if the course is less than 14 weeks

  • no official drops allowed  

Withdrawal from the University

A student who desires to withdraw from all academic course work at any time after completing registration (but before the end of the semester) must file an official withdrawal with the Office of the Registrar. A complete withdrawal without failure may be requested at any time before 4:30 p.m. on the afternoon of the last day of regularly scheduled classes during the 12th week of a semester or the fourth week of a six-week summer session. If a student has not attended classes or taken the final examination in a course, a grade of WF (unofficial withdrawal) is given unless official withdrawal procedures are followed.

A decision to withdraw should be given careful consideration in terms of veteran's benefits, athletic eligibility, financial aid, family health insurance coverage, student loan repayment deferral, and other situations which have specific consequences from withdrawal. A student who withdraws from two consecutive semesters must seek readmission to the University to enroll again.

Withdrawal from the third through the 12th weeks of a semester results in permanent recording of all courses of record at that time with a symbol of W (withdrew) after each course. The W is not a grade and has no effect on grade point average.

Late Program Changes and Withdrawals

To drop courses after the six-week deadline, or make a complete withdrawal after the normal 12-week deadline students must complete the petition form found at this link,  Generally, petitions will be approved only if one of these criteria can be verified:

  • the student has serious mental or physical health problems verified by statement from a physician or professional counselor.
  • there is a death or prolonged serious illness in the immediate family, also verified by the family physician.
  • receiving orders being called to military service.

A student may not petition to drop a course or completely withdraw from the University under any circumstances after the end of the semester.
Completed petitions must be turned in at the Registrar’s Office.  All petitions with appropriate documentation will be evaluated by the Enrollment Review Committee.

Pass-No Credit Grading

This special grading is permitted and required only for professional projects (796), internships (797), and thesis writing (799) courses/credits at the graduate level. All other graduate credit courses must be taken on a regular graded basis.

Audit Enrollment Information

With the permission of the instructor, a graduate student may audit an undergraduate course if space is available after undergraduate students who have enrolled for credit have been accommodated. Conditions and requirements for class participation are completely at the discretion of the course instructor. A student enrolled for credit may change to audit status for grading purposes, at any time up to the course drop deadline. Audited credits do not count in determining credit completion requirements or for any program or benefits eligibility status. Audited credits do count toward maximum credit load limitations or minimum credit requirements. Any changes from audit status for grading purposes, must be completed within the course add period.

Graduate Independent Study

Independent study may be undertaken only under the supervision of a member of a graduate faculty and only as part of an approved program plan. The proposal form must be approved and signed by the graduate faculty member and the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies before registering for or adding independent study credits. The proposal is filed in the Graduate Studies Office and included in the student's file. Regular semester add and drop deadlines apply to independent study. Special 500-600-level numbered undergraduate courses do not require an independent study card. Graduate special (GSP) students are not eligible for 798 work except in the ED & HUD area; graduate specials are also not eligible for 796, 797 or 799 work.

Special Petitions

A special petition is a formal written request for an exception to normal rules, regulations, and procedures and may be granted or denied. The rules, regulations, and requirements of the graduate program are the result of recommendations from the graduate faculty board of advisers and the Academic Actions Committee. Some rules may originate from legislative statutes or Board of Regents actions.

Exceptions to academic rules and regulations are granted if the petition states unforeseeable extenuating circumstances and relevant facts that fall within general parameters recommended by the Academic Actions Committee, and approved by the dean of the college of professional and graduate studies. If a petition is denied, the student has the right of further appeal to the Academic Actions Committee. The forms are available online at

Students contemplating an appeal should consider:

  1. Are the relevant facts and dates clearly stated and documented?
  2. Are the extenuating circumstances cited of an unforeseeable nature?
  3. Are relevant recommendations from the instructor included, if this is appropriate?
  4. Do the statements distinguish between needs and wants?
  5. Is the educational rationale for the request stated?

Veterans Educational Assistance

The primary source of information for programs administered by the Veterans Administration or the Wisconsin Department of Veterans' Affairs is the veterans' service officer of the county from which the veteran departed for service, or where he/she now claims residence. The veteran may also seek assistance from the veterans' officer on campus.

Veterans should submit the certificate of eligibility to the Office of the Registrar for enrollment certification and transmittal to the Veterans Administration regional office.

Other Rules

In matters not covered by the graduate academic rules and regulations as specified in this catalog, the graduate program follows rules and regulations for the undergraduate programs and courses at UW-Green Bay.