Course Requirements

The student and his or her graduate chair or designee must file an official declaration of master's degree in order to assign a degree plan - Applied Leadership for Teaching and Learning, Environmental Science and Policy, and Management. Students in Social Work must develop an individual program plan to satisfy requirements of the student's specific track. An acceptable degree or program plan must include:

  1. Graduate Core Courses (13 or more credits)
  2. Area of Emphasis Courses
  3. Thesis/Professional Project

Each is explained in more detail.

Graduate Core Courses

(13 or more credits)
Graduate core courses are usually numbered at the 700 level (700 through 796, excluding 783), although specific undergraduate/graduate courses may be acceptable in some programs. Courses at the 700 level are open only to graduate students.

Area of Emphasis Courses

A typical program plan may also include several different types of specialized courses to gain particular knowledge, skills, and experiences. These may include dual-listed undergraduate/graduate courses, selected upper-level undergraduate courses, independent studies, transfer credits, and internships.

Undergraduate/Graduate Courses

(numbered XXX-500 to XXX-595 and XXX-600 to XXX-695)
Graduate students may register for courses specifically cross-listed as undergraduate/graduate (UG/G) without special permission. These courses are identified by course numbers at the 500 and 600 levels and are listed in the graduate section of the Schedule of Classes.

Other undergraduate courses at the 300 and 400 levels may be taken for graduate credit if they contribute to a coherent program of study. An assigned study card must be submitted with registration as XXX-596 or XXX-696 as appropriate.

Academic standards for graduate credit in graduate/undergraduate courses exceed standards for undergraduate credit. Increased standards may be in the form of additional academic work and/or an increase in grading standards. Students should be aware of the requisites required for cross-listed courses.

Experimental Courses

(numbered 783X)
From time to time, graduate faculty may offer courses in response to special demand, to address current issues, or to make use of special resources offered by visiting faculty. These are offered once on an experimental basis; they may later become regular course offerings. Courses offered with the 783X number may not be counted as part of the graduate core requirement.

Independent Study

(numbered 798)
Independent study may be undertaken in the form of reading and research completed under the supervision of a member of the graduate faculty. This type of study can be undertaken only after an approved program plan is filed including the independent study course as an integral part of the individual program. Under normal circumstances, a maximum of six credits of independent study may be applied toward the degree; however, with strong recommendation and a rationale provided by the major professor, additional independent study credits may be allowed. To arrange for independent study courses, students must prepare a proposal that includes a statement of objectives, a list of readings and/or projects to be completed, and a statement of how the work will be evaluated and graded. The proposal is filed in the Office of Graduate Studies and will be included in the student's file.


(numbered 797)
An internship, usually undertaken outside of the University setting, must be an experience that provides a genuine training ground for the application of knowledge and understanding relevant to the student's area of study. Internships are not available to graduate special students.

Internships must be preplanned and incorporate predetermined criteria for grading. A full description of internship activities, including methods of academic evaluation, must be submitted to the student's major professor and the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and the Director of Graduate Studies. It will be included in the student's file. A member of the graduate faculty must sponsor the internship, although day-to-day administration of the experience may be by a non-faculty supervisor. An internship may be required by some graduate tracks. Experience gained in permanent employment cannot normally be counted as an internship. The amount of credit acquired through an internship is determined by the student's graduate committee, subject to approval by the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies. Normal maximum is six credits. The graduate program does not award credit for prior experience. However valid, an internship undertaken prior to enrollment in the program cannot carry credit toward the M.S. degree.

Special Topics

(numbered 795)
From time to time, professors or groups of professors may organize courses, seminars, colloquia, field trips, and so on, around some topic of interest or special need. Such courses are not normally intended to become part of the regular curriculum. Courses offered with the 795 number cannot be counted as part of the graduate core requirement.

Credit From Other Institutions

The specialized study component may also include a maximum of 15 graduate credits earned at other accredited institutions prior to admission to UW-Green Bay. Transfer credit evaluation is the responsibility of the student's graduate faculty committee. These credits are subject to the review of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies and the registrar.

Any additional courses to be taken at other institutions and to be included as credits toward the degree must receive prior approval from the student's major professor and the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies. A substitution form signed by the graduate program chair must be filed with the Office of Graduate Studies and the Registrar's Office before transfer courses are included in the program plan.

Thesis/Professional Project

(thesis/project is 6 credits registered as 799 in Applied Leadership for Teaching and Learning, and Environmental Science and Policy programs)

Students must register for a minimum of one credit of thesis/project during the semester in which the defense is to occur. A student may earn more than six credits for thesis/project, but only six credits may be applied toward degree requirements.

Students in the Management Program must complete MANAGMNT 796 Professional Project.

Social Work students must complete SOC WORK 731 Advanced Research Applications in Social Work Practice and SOC WORK 732 Field Research Project.