Programs of Study including Majors & Minors



Disciplinary Major or Minor
(Bachelor of Arts)

Associate Professor Cristina Ortiz (Modern Languages chair)
Assistant Professor Gabriel T. Saxton-Ruiz
Assistant Professor Hernán Fernández-Meardi

Web site:

Spanish Major Requirements | Spanish Minor Requirements | Course Descriptions

The Spanish program provides students with communication skills in both written and spoken Spanish and gives them an understanding of and appreciation for the peoples, literatures, and cultures of Spain and Latin America. Stronger ties with the Spanish-speaking world and the growing number of Spanish-speakers in the United States have significantly increased the need for teachers and speakers of Spanish.

Although some students choose to study Spanish primarily for personal growth and intellectual enrichment, graduates in Spanish have found satisfying careers in teaching, international business, translating and interpreting, personnel work, public relations, business management, social work, government service, and other fields. The Spanish major is also excellent preparation for graduate study. Proficiency in a foreign language and understanding of other cultures are essential for peace and prosperity in an interdependent world.

Learning a new language is a life-long endeavor, only part of which can be accomplished in the classroom. All students of Spanish are strongly encouraged to pursue opportunities faculty provide for travel and study in Spain, Mexico, Guatemala, and South America. Additionally, ways exist to interact with the Hispanic community of Green Bay. A language laboratory with interactive audio equipment, computers, and international television reception helps language learning and cultural awareness. Spanish conversation groups meet periodically to offer the opportunity to practice the language. Students are encouraged to become members of the student-led Spanish Club.

Students majoring in Spanish will also choose an interdisciplinary minor. Students interested in the humanities usually choose the interdisciplinary program in Humanistic Studies; students interested in the arts or the performing arts usually choose Design Arts or Arts Management. Depending on their preferences and goals, students may find other interdisciplinary programs appropriate, such as Human Development or Social Change and Development. Students desiring teacher preparation in Spanish must combine their studies in Spanish with the secondary Education minor.

Students who begin Spanish study at UW-Green Bay should enroll in Introduction to Spanish 101. Students with previous Spanish should select a course appropriate to their level by counting a year of high school work as equivalent to a semester of college work, or consult the Spanish adviser. If more than two semesters have elapsed between your high school Spanish classes and when you will be enrolling in college Spanish courses, you are required to take the UW placement test for appropriate placement.

Retroactive or Advanced Placement Credit
Students who have taken Spanish in high school or who acquired a knowledge of Spanish elsewhere may earn up to 14 additional credits by completing a Spanish course beyond the 101 level. With a grade of “B” or better, Spanish credit will be given for all Spanish courses preceding the one in which the student has enrolled, to a maximum of 14 credits; with a grade of “BC” or “C,” half credit will be given for the courses preceding the one in which the student has enrolled, to a maximum of seven credits.

For example, with four years of high school Spanish, students who complete SPANISH 225, Intermediate Spanish Conversation and Composition, with a grade of “B” will receive 14 retroactive credits for SPANISH 101, 102, 201, and 202 in addition to the three credits for SPANISH 225; students who complete the course with a “C” will receive seven retroactive credits for SPANISH 101, 102, 201, and 202 in addition to the three credits for SPANISH 225.

Requests for retroactive credits in a student’s native language are not generally accepted.

Students seeking teacher certification must be admitted to the Education Program and should contact the Education Office for information and further requirements.

Students may study abroad or at other campuses in the United States through UW-Green Bay’s participation in international exchange programs and National Student Exchange. Travel courses are another option for obtaining academic credits and completing requirements. For more information, contact the Office of International Education at (920) 465-2413 or see
Spanish Major Requirements
Spanish Minor Requirements
Course Descriptions