Planning an Academic Program

Degree Residency Requirement

  1. A minimum of 30 credits must be earned at UW-Green Bay.
  2. The minimum credit residency requirement for a major is 15 credits.
  3. The minimum credit residency requirement for a minor is nine credits.
  4. One half of the upper-level requirements for any major, minor, etc., must be earned at UW-Green Bay.

A student who has completed the junior year and meets the residency requirement, but cannot complete the senior year in residence for reasons of employment transfer, marriage, or other cause, can graduate from UW-Green Bay. Appropriate courses taken at another university as a substitute for senior year residence at UW-Green Bay can be selected with an adviser. Selected courses must then be approved by the chairperson of the student's major and, if necessary, by the appropriate academic dean.

Note: Credits earned at both the undergraduate and graduate level through the Credit for Prior Learning process (e.g., standardized examinations, challenge exams, portfolio development) may not be used to satisfy UW-Green Bay Degree Residency Requirements for degrees, major and minors.

Guidelines for Majors and Minors

  1. Majors will consist of a minimum of 30 credits with at least 24 credits at the upper level.
  2. Minors will consist of a minimum of 18 credits with at least 12 credits at the upper level. The three exceptions are Music, Art, and Theatre.
  3. Closing entries on the official transcript will include only degrees, date, major(s), minor(s), and honors (if any).
  4. Diplomas will carry only the degree (B.A., B.S., etc.) and all-university honors, if any.
  5. Overlapping of requirements for majors, minors, and professional programs with the general education requirements is permitted.
  6. Majors, minors and professional programs may declare that their requirements are valid for a maximum period of five years following the final approval of a student's academic plan.

Earning a Second Bachelor's Degree at UW-Green Bay

Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from UW-Green Bay may earn a second, distinct baccalaureate degree by completing a minimum of 30 additional undergraduate credits in residence subsequent to the awarding of the first degree and by satisfying all major requirements for the second degree. The two bachelor degrees earned must have different degree designations (e.g., BS, BA, BAS, BBA, BSN, BSW).