"Changing Neural Pathways Every Class Period"
Quick Links 7 questions of life
"The ability to persuade and argue lies at the very heart of the democratic ideal."
Persuasion and Argumentation
About the Course
Persuasion and Argumentation teaches the theories that lie behind persuasive and argumentative messages. This approach will teach you to critically analyze both the persuasive messages you send, and the persuasive messages you receive. As a receiver of hundreds of persuasive messages daily, knowing the concepts behind the messages will train your neural pathways to be alert for unethical and ineffective messages.
What will I learn?
1) How to develop effective arguments for designated audiences.
2) How to apply the major theories of persuasion to real-world situations.
What will I do?
1) Work in a team to analyze and critique contemporary debate issues.
2) Work in a team to create a persuasive campaign.
3) Take two major tests.
7 Questions to guide your thinking...
Can you prove it?
What are your assumptions?
What is effectiveness?
What is the pattern?
What can you do about it?
Is it ethical?
- "You're not right because others agree with you, but because
your facts are right."
- Warren Buffett (Fortune, 04.21.2005, p. 92)