Latex condoms reduce the risk of pregnancy and have the added benefit of reducing risk for some sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Condoms can be purchased in the restrooms of the Phoenix Club in the Student Union and the unisex restrooms in the lower level of the Community Center at Resident Life area. For more information on condoms, contact the Counseling and Health Center, SS 1400, (920) 465-2380.
To determine what type of birth control you might be interested in, see the Association of Reproduction Health Professionals' Guide
Oral contraceptives ("the pill") are pills containing synthetic hormones that prevent pregnancy primarily by blocking ovulation. Oral contraceptives do not protect against STDs. A variety of oral contraceptives are available at the Counseling and Health Center. An annual pelvic exam and pap smear are needed if you wish to be on oral contraceptives.
To obtain the pill from the Counseling and Health Center:
- Make an appointment to see a nurse by calling (920) 465-2380.
- The nurse will provide you with pertinent information about the pelvic exam and the birth control pill.
- The nurse will then schedule an appointment for you to see the physician for this exam.
- Cost $10.00 per package (one month's supply).
Depo Provera Injections
Depo Provera is an injection (shot) of a progesterone like chemical that protects against pregnancy for 3 months. Depo Provera does not protect against STDs. An annual pelvic exam and pap smear are needed if you wish to receive contraceptive injections.
To receive Depo Provera injections:
- Make an appointment to see a nurse. Call (920) 465-2380.
- The nurse will provide you with pertinent information about exam and injectable contraceptives.
- The nurse will then schedule an appointment for you to see the physician for a pelvic exam and Pap smear.
- Cost Depo Provera, $70 per injection (need every 12 weeks); $10 pregnancy test (initially to start).
ECP (Emergency Contraceptive Pill)
Visit the ECP page for more information.
Free Birth Control
Visit the Family Planning Service Program for more information.