UW-Green Bay Counseling and Health Center
face of woman Sexual Assault
  What To Do If You're Assaulted

  What to Do if You Are Sexually Assaulted:
  • Go to a safe place.

  • If you or anyone remains in physical danger call 911.

  • Preserve all physical evidence of the assault. Do not shower, bathe, douche, eat, drink, wash your hands, or brush your teeth until after you have had a medical examination. Save all of the clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault. Place each item of clothing in a separate paper bag. Do not use plastic bags. Do not clean or disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred..

  • Get medical care as soon as possible. Go to a hospital emergency department or a specialized forensic clinic that provides treatment for sexual assault victims. Collection of evidence is best done within 120 hours of an assault. Testing can be done by a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) through St. Vincent Hospital Pager: 704-2373). Even if you think that you do not have any physical injuries, you should still have a medical exam and discuss with a health care provider the risk of exposure to sexually transmitted infections and the possibility of pregnancy resulting from the sexual assault. For concerns about sexually transmitted disease (STD) or pregnancy, contact your health care provider or the UW-Green Bay Counseling and Health Center 465-2380. If you suspect that you may have been given a rape drug, ask the hospital or clinic where you receive medical care to take a urine sample. Drugs, such as Rohypnol and GHB, are more likely to be detected in urine than in blood.

  • Contact a friend, family member or someone else you trust who can be with you and give you support.

  • Write down as much as you can remember about the circumstances of the assault, including a description of the assailant.

  • Get information whenever you have questions or concerns. After a sexual assault, you have a lot of choices and decisions to make - e.g., about getting medical care, making a police report, and telling other people. You may have concerns about the impact of the assault and the reactions of friends and family members. Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist rape victims. Counseling can help you learn how to cope with the emotional and physical impacts of the assault. You can get information by contacting UW-Green Bay Counseling and Health Center at 920-465-2380 or the Sexual Assault Center 920-436-8899.

Who to Contact:


Brown County Public Safety Communication Center
9-911 (On-campus)
911 (Off-campus)


Counseling and Health Center

Sexual Assault Coordinator

Dean of Students Office/Title IX Coordinator

Public Safety (24 hrs)

Assistant Director for Affirmative Action

Sexual Assault Center (24hrs)

Family Violence Center (24hrs)

Crisis Center (24hrs)

St. Vincent SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner)
Pager: 704-2373

UW-Green Bay, Connecting learning to life Counseling and Health Center | University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
HOURS: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday | After Hours Care
Student Services - 1400, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311   Phone: (920) 465-2380
A Student Affairs site. Copyright ©2006 All rights reserved.