Sign Language Interpreting
Disability Services (DS) Office provides Sign Language interpreter services to qualified students by hiring,
scheduling, and coordinating qualified sign language interpreters to interpret for all scheduled classes and
academically related events (ie: field trips, meetings with professors, exams, etc.); and serves as a resource
for other campus organizations and groups regarding Sign Language interpreter services.
- DS will serve as a resource to the campus regarding providing interpreter services.
- DS will provide a list of potential interpreters, upon request, to campus organizations needing to provide interpreter
- If a student needs an interpreter for any extra-curricular activities, the student will contact the appropriate personnel
in the organization sponsoring the activity as soon as possible, but at least 72 hours in advance, to request interpreter
- Students who miss a class three times, without properly notifying the interpreter or DS, will have their interpreter
services suspended; and will be required to meet with the CDS to have their interpreter services reinstated.
- When a student knows that he/she will be enrolling at UWGB, the student must contact DS, as soon as possible, to make an
appointment to meet with the CDS to discuss the studentís needs for interpreter services, and other potential accommodations.
(DS appreciates as much advanced notice as possible regarding requested interpreter services to aid them in hiring/scheduling
- The student should bring a copy of his/her most recent audiological evaluation and a copy of his/her most recent IEP and
M-Team records (if available) with them when he/she meets with the CDS.
- The CDS will establish plans for provision of interpreter services, and other accommodations, as appropriate.
- The student must provide a copy of their class schedule each semester upon registration.
- The student must immediately notify CDS of any schedule changes.
- If the student needs extra class-related interpreting services (ie: field trips, exams, visiting lecturer presentations,
etc.) the student must notify DS of their interpreting need at least 72 hours (three working days) before the event.
- The student will contact DS as soon they know of any class schedule changes (ie: class is cancelled, student will not be
attending class, etc.).
- If the student does not come to a scheduled class, the interpreter will wait for 20 minutes and then leave.
- If the interpreter does not show up for a class, the student will wait for 20 minutes and then decide whether to stay in
the class, without an interpreter, or to leave the class.
- The student will contact DS Services with requests for extra class-related interpreting needs (ie: field trips, exams,
visiting lecturer presentations, etc.) at least 72 hours (three working days) before an interpreter is needed.
< Documentation Conversion | Caption Media >