Belle Meade Plantation is a well preserved plantation in the city of Belle Meade immediately south of Nashville, Tennessee.
The cabin was built about 1790 and purchased by John Harding in 1807.
Harding's farm prospered and soon he found a lucrative specialty in boarding and then breeding racehorses. In 1820 he built a substantial brick mansion which was expanded to almost twice its original size in 1853.
|Distant view of the mansion|
|View south over the lawn.|
The Carriage House and Stables were built in 1892 and house a carriage collection.
|The smokehouse, from about 1826.|
|The dairy (1884)|
The mausoleum, built in 1839.
Below: slave cabin from about 1830.
|Above: the gardener's house from the 1920's||Below: views along the garden paths.|
Created 19 July 2007, Last Update 02 July 2012
Not an official UW Green Bay site