Mission Carmel, California

Steven Dutch, Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
First-time Visitors: Please visit Site Map and Disclaimer. Use "Back" to return here.


The full name of the mission is Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo. It was founded June 3, 1770 by Father Junipero Serra, who was buried here when he died in 1784.
 
 
 
 
The interior has this unusual parabolic arch form.
Left and below: main altar
Left: the organ
 
Left: a crucifixion diorama

Below: although Italian nativity displays are famous for depicting entire villages at their daily work, the Spanish were not to be outdone.

 
 
 
 
 
 
The village of Petra, Mallorca (Majorca) Spain to its most famous son Fray Junipero Serra on the 250th anniversary of his birth, 1713-1963.
 

Return to Historic Places Index
Return to Professor Dutch's Home Page

Created 15 January 2007, Last Update 02 July 2012

Not an official UW Green Bay site