Tumacacori National Historical Park, Arizona

Steven Dutch, Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
First-time Visitors: Please visit Site Map and Disclaimer. Use "Back" to return here.


Sonora desert scenery.
Tumacacori is an abandoned mission not far north of Nogales, Arizona. The original mission was founded in 1691, but moved to the present site after an Indian uprising in 1751. The present building was built in the early 19th century but never finished. Banditry and Indian unrest caused an exodus of settlers in the mid 19th century.

Two other sites are accessible only on guided tours during the fall and winter.
Below: graffiti from 1890 (left) and 1861 (right). General Pershing is reputed to have inscribed his name but the plaster with his name has fallen away and been lost.
 
Nicely done diorama showing how the church may have looked in its prime.
Border check point north of Tumacacori

Below: Desert Scenery.

Return to Historical Places Index
Return to Professor Dutch's Home Page

Created 18 November 2011, Last Update 02 July 2012

Not an official UW Green Bay site