skip to content

Professional Program inEducation

Licensed Wisconsin Teachers

Teachers Seeking a New Licensure Area

Thank you for your inquiry regarding a new field for licensure. The rules regarding teaching licensure in Wisconsin changed in August 2004. Licensed teachers will retain their current license and have the option of renewing it or developing a professional development plan (PDP) under the new licensing rules.

Teachers seeking new fields of licensure will no longer be able to “add-on” to their current license; they will receive a new license in the field in which they want to become certified. The following items give you a basic outline of the requirements for seeking new teaching licensing through the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.

  • Complete requirements for Admission to the University
  • Complete the Application for Full Admission to the Professional Program in Education
  • Provide evidence of completion of the required major or minor (or the equivalent of a major or minor) for your level of certification
  • Complete any necessary courses with 2.75 GPA or better in the license field to receive endorsement from the academic department of the major or minor for certification and earn a “C” or better in all relevant courses
  • Take the PRAXIS II exam in your content area
  • Provide an electronic portfolio to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and dispositions as required by the Ten Wisconsin Teaching Standards (The Outreach and Extension Office at UWGB [Offerings for Educators] offers a class in preparing the portfolio: ED & HUD 795-6 (756) Electronic Portfolios: Powerful Professional Improvement Tool; 2 graduate credits. Contact that office at 920- 465-2480). Or EDUC 280 Instructional Technologies taken after Fall 2005 will provide this training. The portfolio review fee is $250 for each review and the review takes approximately 30 days after submission.
  • Complete a student teaching assignment (or similar experience) in the licensure area
  • Upon completion of all the requirements, submit your application for licensure with the appropriate fee to the Education Office at UW-Green Bay to obtain a recommendation for the new license.

Please refer to the procedures for a new certificate which explains each step in depth. If you need additional clarification, please call Advising and Student Teaching Coordinator, Mary Anne Spencer at 920-465-2835.