0137DU - Engaging Youth in Groups
Appropriate for program staff who currently work in afterschool settings or for students seeking undergraduate degrees in areas of education or human development
Course Description:During this seven-week online course, we will explore the dynamics of working with children and youth ages 5 to 12 in groups and group settings in Expanded Learning Opportunities (ELOs). Examination of program and group relationship factors that support or inhibit positive adult-to-youth and peer-to-peer relationships will occur. Students will develop knowledge and skills for designing program spaces, using multiple grouping formats in programs, facilitating group activities, fostering youth social skills and peer relationships, using positive guidance techniques, and leadership techniques promoting youth choice and active participation.
Additionally, this course serves as the second course for the Wisconsin Registry’s After School and Youth Development credential. The Registry develops professional credentials to meet the unique needs of childhood care and education practitioners. To receive the After School and Youth Development credential, a student must enroll in 4 three-credit courses including: Foundations in After School and Youth Development, Engaging Youth in Groups, Intentionality in Programming, and Capstone Course: Site Programming and Operations. After completing necessary coursework, students apply to the registry to receive their credential. For more information go to: http://www.the-registry.org.
Three Undergraduate Credits ($847.29)
- Course Number: EDUC 495-2, section 7800 (#0137DU)
- Prerequisite: Must have graduated from a recognized Wisconsin high school; must have computer and high-speed Internet access.
- Target Audience: Appropriate for program staff who currently work in afterschool settings or students seeking undergraduate degrees in areas of education or human development.
- Schedule: This asynchronous online course begins January 27 and ends March 16, 2014.(The official course start and end dates for fee and grade reporting purposes are January 27 to March 16, 2014.)
- Teacher Standards # 6, 7, 9, 10
Location of Course: Online - Online CourseCourse Instructor(s): Dr. Jenell Holstead - Instructor Bio
Registration Deadline: 01/06/2014
Syllabus Link: Click here for PDF of course syllabus
To Register For This Course:
Click the "Register Online" link or contact Mary Ann in the UW-Green Bay Education Outreach Office at (920) 465-2480 or toll-free at 800-621-2313. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 AM-4:30 PM. Or, please email your request to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to download a printable registration form in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.