What can you do with this major?
Really anything you want! Because it is a very solid liberal arts degree. The possibilities are really endless! The three main fields that students have combined German with are Education, Business, and Public Relations. The best thing to do is to first assess your own interests, skills and abilities…it all relates to what exactly you want to do? Students can also use their German degree to pursue further study in Graduate School and Law School.
The following list represents a few of the kinds of career titles for German:
Bilingual Educator, Foreign Language Teacher, Interpreters, Literary Researchers/Translators, Multi-Lingual Port Receptionist, Researcher, Scientific Translator or Interpreter, Translators, Flight Attendants, Ticket Agents, Ground Hosts/Hostesses, Bilingual Secretaries, Exchange Program Coordinators, Foreign Correspondents, Freight Forwarders, Foreign Collections, C.I.A. Specialists, Immigration & Customs Inspectors, Intelligence, Foreign Service Officers, FBI Special Agents, International Research Teams, Librarian, Missionaries, Peace Corps Volunteers, Textbook Publishers, Tour Guides, Travel Agents, Tutors
The following list represents a few of the kinds of businesses and institutions that employ German:
- BUSINESS- Import/Export, Advertising, Banking & Finance, Engineering, Research, Translation
- GOVERNMENT- Foreign Service, Translation, Aid Agencies, Overseas Dependents' Schools, Radio, U. S. Armed Forces
- EDUCATION- Elementary & Secondary Schools, Colleges & Universities, Commercial & Government-Operated Schools, Overseas Dependents' Schools, Peace Corps Locations
- MEDIA- Journalism, Radio & Television, Film, Publishing
- TRAVEL- Transportation, Hotels & Motels, Excursions & Tours
- SERVICES- Health Professions, Social Work, Library Science, Service Organizations, Law & Law Enforcement, Volunteer Agencies
Want to know more about the nature of the work, working conditions, earnings, training, and job outlook for these occupations? Then check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook