skip to content

Graduate Studies

Our Staff

Matthew Dornbush

  • Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Director of Graduate Studies
  • Cofrin Library 835
  • Phone: (920) 465-2454
  • Email:

Mary Valitchka

Mariah Pursley

  • University Services Program Associate
  • Phone: (920) 465-2334
  • Email:

Claire Carviou


Welcome, graduate students! The Office of Graduate Studies is here to help you during your time in one of our many innovative graduate programs. In accordance with the University's mission, each program provides an interdisciplinary, problem-focused educational experience that prepares students to think critically and address complex issues in a multicultural and evolving world. We have compiled a list of beneficial resources and links to aid you in your journey. Please contact us directly with any additional questions or concerns you may have: (920) 465-2334 or


Common Questions

  1. Can I transfer credits?

    A maximum of 15 credits of graduate coursework completed at other institutions can be applied toward a UW-Green Bay master’s degree. Individual programs may accept fewer credits. Transfer courses can be approved by graduate faculty as direct equivalences to UW-Green Bay graduate courses. If granted as graduate elective credit to meet a program requirement, a course substitution is made. All outcomes, once approved, should be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar to be transacted on the academic record.

  2. Are there assistantships available?

    Currently only the Environmental Science & Policy program offers assistantships. Please check with your individual program to see if they will be offering assistantships in the future.
    Application deadlines for ES&P Assistantships are:

    • Fall assistantship applications due: March 1st
    • Spring assistantship applications due: October 1st

  3. How does advising work?

    One of our primary goals is to help students succeed in their chosen program. Upon admission an advisor will automatically be assigned. Our academic advisors will help you stay on track to meet your academic goals. UW-Green Bay is known for providing personalized developmental advising.

  4. How can I add or drop a class?

    For instructions on how to add or drop a course please visit the corresponding link below:

  5. What is the process for writing and submitting my thesis?

    You will be working closely with your advisor throughout the process of writing, submitting, and defending your thesis. For graduation in the fall and spring semesters, a student’s defense must be held before the last day of a semester. The student then has 20 calendar days after the last day of the semester to submit their final thesis/project document to the Office of Graduate Studies and 42 calendar days after the last day of the semester for all other graduation requirements to be completed and verified. For more information, please refer to the Thesis/Project Information tab.

  6. Is there a minimum continuing academic requirement?

    Yes. A student is in good academic standing if the student's cumulative grade point average is 3.00 or greater. At the end of each semester, the Office of Graduate Studies reviews the records of all registered, active graduate students. Every student is expected to maintain at least a 3.00 GPA on all work carried in every term, including summer session. Students who fail to maintain a cummulative GPA of 3.00 will face academic warnings, probation, or suspension.