skip to content

Graduate Studies

Visa Information

Application for Immigration

There are several steps to apply for a student visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the embassy or consulate website where you intend to apply.

Citizenship and Visa Status

International students must have a visa status that allows academic study at the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay. This status includes temporary U.S. visas such as F-1 student visas, J-1 exchange visitor visas, H-1 temporary worker visas, F-2 dependent visas, or any other non-immigrant classifications.

New U.S. government regulations (issued June 2015), permits dependents (F-2) of international students to engage in study at SEVP-certified schools in the U.S., as long as they are only enrolled part-time. Although dependents can only study part-time, that part-time study can result in the attainment of a degree. However, the dependent with F-2 status would not be eligible for any employment - including on-campus, CPT, or OPT. If a dependent with F-2 status wants to enroll at UW-Green Bay as a full-time graduate student, they must apply for and obtain approval to change their non-immigrant classification to F-1 or J-1. For more information on this rule, refer to the Department of Homeland Security website.