Oven Cleaning: Private Room Apartments
If the oven is set to bake or broil, and then the temperature control knob is set to CLEAN, it will not start the clean cycle until START is pressed again.
Do not force the oven door open. This can damage the automatic door locking system. Use caution when opening the door after self-cleaning is completed. The oven may still be very hot. Stand to the side of the oven when opening the door to allow hot air or steam to escape.
A Self-cleaning oven heats to a very high temperature to burn off baked-on spatters. Read the following instructions carefully. Allow about four hours for the complete cleaning process.
Some pre-cleaning is necessary before setting the oven for the self-cleaning cycle. Do not use commercial oven cleaners or oven protective coatings in or around any part of the self-cleaning oven. The woven gasket on the oven door is essential for a good seal. Care should be taken not to rub, damage or move the gasket. Do not use any cleaning materials on the gasket, as doing so may damage it.
- Remove any pans, utensils or tin foil from oven; remove any items that are near the vent openings because heat and vapor are vented through this area during the self-cleaning cycle. The oven vents through the left rear surface element.
- Wipe up excess grease and spills from the oven bottom using hot, soapy water to remove any light soil from the oven frame
and door liner (area outside the oven seal). These surfaces are not cleaned during the
self-cleaning cycle, but become very hot.
- Clean the inside window with hot, soapy water and a nylon net scrubber.
Rinse and dry. Remove oven racks and clean by hand. If left in oven, the racks
will be come dull and blue-gray in color due to exposure to high heat. Never
attempt to clean the drip pans by placing them in the oven during the cleaning
What to expect during cleaning:
While the cycle is in operation, the oven heats to temperatures higher than those used in normal cooking. Sounds of metal
expansion and contractions are normal. Odor is also normal as the food soil is being removed. Smoke may appear through the
oven vent. A smoke eliminator in the oven vent converts most of the soil into a colorless vapor. However, if heavy spillovers
are not wiped up before cleaning, they may flame and cause more smoke and odor than usual. This is normal and safe, and
should not cause alarm. Use exhaust fan during self-cleaning cycle.
To start the controls for self-cleaning cycle to start immediately and shut off automatically:
- Close the oven door, set control knob to clean.
- Be sure the clock shows correct time of day.
To Start the Self-Cleaning Cycle
The oven can be programmed to run a 2 or 3 hour self-cleaning cycle. We recommend a 2 hour self-clean cycle for light soils
and a 3 hour cycle for average to heavy soils (to assure satisfactory results).
To Set the Controls:
- Be sure that the oven door is closed.
- Turn Temperature Control Knob to CLEAN or press the CLEAN button.
- Push START. “3:00” will appear on the display. (The oven will automatically program a 3 hour clean cycle).
- If you want a 2 hour clean cycle, press the DOWN ARROW. “2:00” will appear in the display.
- If the door is left open, the “Lock” indicator light will flash and “dr” will glow in the display, but the lock motor and clean cycle will not start. As soon as the controls are set and the door is closed, the motor driven lock will begin to close automatically and the “lock” indicator will flash. “CLn” will appear and remain in the display until the cleaning cycle is completed or cancelled. DO NOT open the door while the light is flashing (it takes about 15 seconds for the lock to close).
- Press START at any time during the self-clean cycle to review remaining cleaning time. When the Self-Clean Cycle is Completed.
After the Self-Cleaning Cycle Ends
- The time of day will appear in the display window and the “lock” indicator light will continue to glow.
- Once the oven has cooled down for about 1hour and the “lock” indicator light has gone completely out (and is not flashing), the oven door can be opened.
Stopping or Interrupting a Self-Cleaning Cycle
If it becomes necessary to stop or interrupt a self-cleaning cycle:
- Turn Temperature Control Knob to OFF or press the CLEAR/OFF button.
- Once the oven light has cooled down for about 1 hour.