Table of Contents
Ms. Shelly Gabel, MS, RD, CD
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive, LS 455
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001
Phone: (920) 465-2269
Fax: (920) 465-2769
Office: LS 457
How to Apply
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Dietetic Internship is participating in the ISPP established by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics through the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). For more information on an ISPP, go to www.eatright.org and click the ISPP link.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has been approved to accept up to 6 ISPP interns each year. A new ISPP will start in August/September each year with the traditional internship.
Are you an ISPP Candidate? If you can answer yes to the following 8 questions, you may be a candidate for ISPP at UWGB.
- Did you apply to the traditional internship program? All students wanting to be considered for an ISPP must apply to the traditional program the same year. Only students who have applied but have not matched to a program will be considered for the ISPP.
- Are you a University of Wisconsin Schools Student? Only University of Wisconsin graduates (University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, Stout and Green Bay) who did not match but possess a DPD verification statement for a University of Wisconsin School will be considered for an ISPP. Please note that other accredited DP programs will be considered for the traditional program, just not a UWGB ISPP.
- Do you plan to complete the internship in WI? The ISPP program is designed to complete your rotations in Wisconsin. Rotations must be within a 4 hour drive of UWGB. Some boarder locations may be considered.
- Do you plan to complete the program in 15 months? The ISPP program allows some flexibility in timing but it is designed to be completed within 10-15 months of start date.
- Are you planning to live within a reasonable driving distance to UW-Green Bay? You must plan to come to UWGB to attend a one-week orientation program in August/September of your first year (all travel, hotel and other expenses will be paid for by intern). ISPP interns must plan to come to UWGB to attend a one-week RD prep program in May of your first year (all travel, hotel and other expenses will be paid for by intern). ISPP interns should attend most weekly DI classes on Fridays and leadership projects. There will be some flexibility allowed for an ISPP intern, but attendance in Friday class is strongly encouraged. Several classes are offered on-line.
- Are you interested in improving your leadership skills? The emphasis/concentration of the UW-Green Bay dietetic internship program is leadership.
- Are you independent and not afraid to talk with other professionals? You need to be independent and able to set up internship rotations under the direction/assistance of the DI Director/staff.
- Do you have at least 500 hours of work or volunteer experience in MNT, foodservice and/or Community Nutrition? Although not mandatory, experience is preferred.
- NOTE: WE DO NOT NORMALLY INTERVIEW CANDIDATES.
- Review the Dietetic Internship program materials as provided in this web site.
- Contact the Dietetic Internship Director, Shelly Gabel at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone (920) 465-2269, for additional questions or materials needed.
The UW- Green Bay Dietetic Internship accepts student applications only through, Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS). The online application must be completed for our program no later than Feb. 15, 2013.
Please be advised that all components except payment and ISPP Statement will be sent electronically.
Required application components include:
- DICAS Application Fee: the fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional internship application.
- UW-Green Bay Dietetic Internship Application Fee: $60.00 application fee to UW-Green Bay. Additional $40.00 fee for students wanting to be considered for ISPP ($100.00 ISPP Application fee).
Choose 3 questions to complete in 1000 words or less. Do not answer DICAS questions, only UW-Green Bay specific questions.
- Why is the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (UWGB) a good fit for you and what specifically led you to apply?
- Describe what leadership is to you and describe what leadership skills you have now and what skills still need to be developed.
- If you could design your own dietetics/nutrition job, what would it be and why?
- Answer the following statements:
- Everyone knows I....
- No one knows I....
- UWGB should know I....
- For ISPP Consideration only: Send hardcopy supplement to Personal Statement with payment directly to UW-Green Bay Dietetic Internship. University of WI Students (UW, UWSP, UWS, and UWGB) only can apply for an ISPP. Tell us why you should be considered for an Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway (ISPP)? Tell us the skills you can bring to the program. Limit 250 additional words. (DO NOT submit this additional supplement through DICAS.)
- Recommendations: Applicants must submit 3 recommendations from faculty, academic advisors, employers, or other people who have supervised your studies or work. One recommendation should come from an employer who supervised your volunteer or paid work, and one from an instructor of a course you took in nutrition/dietetics. All recommendations will be submitted electronically through DICAS. Applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each of their 3 references. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Verification Statement: an official statement of Verification of Completion of the Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics (DP) with original signatures, or Declaration of Intent to complete academic requirements, also with original signatures, is required. Once you submit the online DICAS application, the DP Director will be notified and a verification or declaration of intent will be automatically processed. Applicants will receive two hard copies, while the DP Director will verify online that the applicant has received them.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended: When applying online, applicants will be asked to download and fill out a Transcript Request Form which applicants should then send to the Registrar of each institution. The Registrar will send the official transcript directly to DICAS.
- Digital Matching: Applicants must also register online at D&D Digital for computer matching and select dietetic internship priority choices by 6:00 p.m. Central Time on April 7, 2013 date. There is a $50.00 computer matching fee.
Computer Matching Applicant Responsibilities
For any questions concerning the DICAS application, please email email@example.com.
DICAS Application Information
Below are suggestions regarding the DICAS application process. Further information about the process, including an instructional video on the application process may be found here.
- You can navigate to the DICAS system directly at https://portal.dicas.org. You will need to create a new account if you have not already set one up.
- When logged in, please note that there are instructions for every section at the top right hand corner of each page.
- In the College(s) Attended section, after you have added your schools, click the orange button to the left of your school listing to obtain a transcript form. Send a separate transcript request form to each school you have added.
- You can only request 3 letters of recommendation through the DICAS website. UW-Green Bay’s Dietetic Internship requires 3 letters.
- A good resource of information is the applicant video.