skip to content

Human Development

Declaring a Major or Minor

New advisees:

You will need to choose a faculty advisor. See How to Declare for specifics on the declaration process.

Current advisees:

Please check your Student Information System (SIS) account to see if you have already been assigned an advisor in Human Development (see the Figure below for where the advisor information is listed).

SIS Program Advisor Pane
SIS Program Advisor Pane

New to Human Development, but have already declared a major/minor in Psychology?

Please contact your existing Psychology advisor about declaring a major/minor in Human Development (see the Figure above for where the advisor information is listed). You should keep the same advisor with this new declaration.

Switching advisors?

You may choose to switch to a new advisor. You should email the new faculty member you would like to have as your advisor to ask them and tell them who your previously assigned advisor was. Note that only some faculty may be accepting new advisees.


If you have any questions or concerns about advising, please contact the chair, Dr. Kate Burns

How to declare

  1. Complete our online pre-declaration form. You will be asked to choose which advisor you would like to have as part of this. Note that only some faculty may be accepting new advisees—the survey will show you which advisors still have openings. If you are not sure which advisor you’d like to choose, the survey can also randomly select one for you. Note that you will need to know the name of your advisor for Step #2.
  2. Complete the Declare my Major/Minor/Certificate e-form on the registrar's website. Be sure to list your advisor as the same person you listed on the pre-declaration form.
  3. Contact your faculty advisor and arrange to meet with him or her to get officially declared. You will need to have completed steps 1 and 2 before that meeting. For majors, this meeting is required and must occur before your advisor will process your e-form. For minors, we encourage you to meet with your advisor, but do not require it.

Note: If you have a hold on your account because you need to declare a major/minor, that hold will not be removed until the above steps have been completed, and the Registrar's Office has processed the formal paperwork.