Policies for Faculty-Led Study Abroad

  • Leadership and Compensation

      • India

        Faculty and staff who lead Travel Course programs work closely with a small group of students (usually between 10 and 25) in an overseas environment. Faculty have the option of leading a Travel course as part of semester load, or for an overload or summer service payment. Leaders are compensated with a maximum gross amount of up to $1,000 per credit, plus travel expenses associated with the program (airfare, housing, meals, program-related entrances, etc.). Academic staff must first obtain supervisor approval, and if receiving payment, must use vacation time for the duration of the Travel Course program.

  • Financial Matters

      • The University of Wisconsin System mandates that study abroad programs be fully funded from fees generated by the program. In accordance with this requirement, the following policies apply to Travel Courses:

        • Travel Course program fees will be calculated to include student costs, faculty costs, leader compensation, insurance, and OIE administrative fees
        • All Wisconsin resident students enrolled in a Travel Course will be charged the same program fee for participation. Out-of-state students will be assessed a $100 surcharge that will be retained by the Office of International Education.
        • Students will not be charged “tuition” for the credits awarded in Travel Course programs unless the actual cost of travel and faculty support is less than the equivalent tuition amount.
        • Faculty costs for the trip are based on the same rate as student costs. The only exception is that faculty must arrange for single room accommodations for security and liability purposes.
        • In the event that not enough students participate to cover the full leader(s) costs, the leader(s) will consult with the Director of International Education.
        • Students who participate in a Travel Course program that returns to the United States under budget are entitled to a refund. Refunds will be processed should the program savings equal $100 per student or more. If savings do not equal $100 per student, the funds will be retained by the Office of International Education for future program administration and development.
        Basic Operating Principles
        • The Office of International Education will track all monies collected from student payments and the advanced disbursement for expenses. The usual advanced disbursements include payments for airfare, transportation to/from airport, and accommodations. After all expenses are deducted from the total student payments received, the office of International Education will issue a Travel Advance for the remaining money. Prior to departure, faculty will receive an accounting packet that includes spreadsheets and other information necessary to accurately record all expenses incurred during travel.
        • The program leaders are responsible for obtaining travel corporate credit cards or traveler’s checks for transporting funds. The UW-Credit Union must be notified at least 3 weeks prior to departure if the leader intends to convert the travel advance to travelers checks.
        • The program leaders must keep original receipts for all money spent overseas and record the expenses on the accounting envelopes supplied by the Office of International Education. Copies of receipts and credit card statements are not acceptable forms of proof of purchase. The accounting packet must be returned to the Office of International Education no later than 2 weeks following the completion of the Travel Course.
        • At the completion of the Travel Course, any money left over from the travel Advance must be returned to the office of International Education in US Dollars, or Cashier’s Check, along with the Accounting Packet. The Office of International Education will prepare a Travel Authorization Report to finalize program accounting.
        • If more money is spent than was received in the Travel Advance, the University will not provide a refund of personal funds or additional money.
        • It is not appropriate to ask students to bring more money than what was advertised in order to cover budgeted expenses (lodging, meals, transportation, etc.). Any additional money brought by the students should be used for incidentals of a personal nature. Incidental expenses (souvenirs, gifts, medication, sunscreen, insect repellant, etc.) should never be paid for with group money.
        • When disbursing funds to students/leaders, each person should receive the same amount. Students must sign the provided Funds Distribution form indicating the date of receipt and the amount. This must occur each time there is a distribution of funds. Only individual student signatures serve as acknowledgement of receiving money. Check marks by student’s names or other forms of registering expenses are not accepted.
        • The use of generic University receipts is only acceptable in extreme circumstances. For accounting purposes, it is required that the leader submit receipts which clearly identify the name of the company (restaurant, museum, bus company, etc.). Only use University receipts as a last resort, when the company/individual service provider is unable to provide an official document.
        • Expenses that cannot be claimed for reimbursement include alcoholic beverages, spousal or family member travel costs, non-business related phone calls, lost/stolen personal cash or property, traffic citations, parking tickets or other fines, personal entertainment, extra baggage charges, childcare costs, late payment penalties and interest on corporate credit cards.
  • Student Orientations

      • ItalianTravel Course leaders are expected to conduct a minimum of three orientation programs prior to departure. The program leader should notify the Office of International education when and where the orientations will take place so that the information can be included in student acceptance letters.




        First Orientation

        The first orientation should be conducted shortly after the program application deadline and be motivational in nature to get students excited about the trip and have them become comfortable with each other. Participants should be informed about the itinerary, academic expectations and the awarding of credit and grades. Additionally, students should be instructed on how to apply for a U.S. passport and foreign visa (if applicable).

        Second Orientation

        The second orientation should build upon the solidarity established in the first meeting and motivate students to take responsibility for the success of the trip. Work on having students talk about their goals for the experience, and fears and anxieties. Confront any stereotypes they may have. Discuss the geography, educational system, language, laws and customs, gender/diversity issues (attitudes toward women), political structure, culture shock, etc.

        The second orientation should also address some specific program requirements including standards of conduct, health and safety considerations, and medical insurance (these topics will be covered with you during the first faculty orientation program with the Office of International Education).

        Third Orientation

        The third orientation should beheld approximately 1 month prior to departure and should address course/trip expectations, packing, etiquette issues (tipping, how to say “Thank You,” etc.), U.S. Customs regulations, money (using ATM machines, credit cards, exchanging money, etc.), prescription and non-prescription drugs, contacts and glasses, forms of identification, driving while abroad (and why it isn’t a good idea), making phone calls, emailing, and sending mail. You should also reinforce components of previous meetings and answer any remaining student questions.

  • Program Cancellation

      • Safety is UW-Green Bay’s paramount concern. The Office of International Education will monitor State Department Bulletins and Centers for Disease Control guidelines and will cancel a trip if safety concerns warrant. This is a VERY rare occurrence. UW-Green Bay does not run study abroad programs to locations where a State Department Travel Warning has been issued.

        There are a minimum number of participants required to assure program viability. This is particularly true when there is more than one program leader. Historically, programs have traveled with as few as 10 participants; however, that number needs to be approximately doubled to cover two leaders’ expenses. Programs are seldom cancelled if the faculty leaders) and the Office of International Education work together on promotion and both remain flexible regarding the leader’s benefits and salary. However, in order to be fair to participants, contacts and agents, and not to lose deposits, a deadline date may be set whether or not to run a program. Assuming that a program is academically well-designed, the decision to go ahead with a Travel Course is generally numbers driven.

  • Spouse/Dependent Travel

      • Travel courses are first and foremost academic programs and, like their counterparts on campus, should never be designed to cater to the needs of ancillary individuals who are not part of the academic experience. Accompanying dependents, spouse/partners, and acquaintances should not interfere with the function of the study abroad program in any way. For liability purposes, it is important that spouses/partners do not have any responsibilities related to the academic program (e.g. taking attendance, monitoring tests, managing funds, etc.). Dependent children should be accompanied by a caretaker other than the program leader, and at the leader’s expense. Normally all expenses are covered for the program leader(s), however, no University funds will go toward accompanying spouse/partners and dependents. Faculty leaders should make separate travel arrangements for accompanying family members and all program expenses, such as accommodations, should be separate for transparent. As accompanying family are not program participants or agents of the University, they are not guaranteed potential "group discount" prices and are not protected by the University in the event of an emergency (evacuation, medical assistance, etc.).

  • Frequently Asked Questions

      • Are benefits deducted from my overload/summer service payment?

        Ordinarily institutional fringe benefits are deducted from overload payments at a rate of 25%. The Office of International Education accounts for this deduction in calculating overload payments so that the $1,000 per credit maximum payment is the actual “net” deposit into the leaders’ payroll. Deductions for FICA and income taxes are then withheld pursuant to the number of dependents/withholdings you claim.

        Does my health insurance cover me while abroad?

        As a Travel Course leader you will be provided with CISI health and travel insurance through the Office of International Education.

        What happens if a student misbehaves or doesn’t follow my instructions while overseas?

        Students are expected to maintain acceptable standards of conduct and are subject to disciplinary codes of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, the Office of International education, and of the host institution/country with which the program is affiliated. Violation of such rules may result in immediate termination of participation and return of the student(s) to the United States at personal expense.

        When do I receive my overload or summer service payment?

        Payments are processed during the payroll period in which the program leaves the United States. Depending on the return date, payments are typically paid within 3 or 4 weeks of program completion.

        How do I obtain a passport?

        Passports are issued by the U.S. Passport Agency. Applications are available for download online from the U.S. Postal Service website.