Program Extension

UWGBIf you are in F-1 status, you have been granted permission to stay in the U.S. for “D/S,” which stands for “Duration of Status.” This means that you have permission to stay in the U.S. until the expiration date on your Form I-20 or the completion of your program of study, plus a 60-day grace period and any authorized period of Optional Practical Training. You must be pursuing a full course of study and making normal progress towards completing the course of study indicated on your Form I-20. If you are not going to be able to finish your program by the end date on your Form I-20, you must apply for an extension of stay in order to remain in legal status. Extensions may only be authorized if the reason for the delay satisfies the legal requirements for an extension as set forth in the U.S. immigration regulations.

How to apply for an Extension

  1. Fill out the Program Extension Form
  2. Meet with your academic advisor to fill out section B of the application
  3. Submit the completed Program Extension Form into the Office of International Education. Forms must be received no sooner than 120 days and no later than 30 days prior to the expiration date on your I-20. Please note that processing takes 5 business days. When completed, you will be notified to pick up your new I-20.
  4. Please keep all prior copies of your I-20.