Frequently Asked Questions

Choosing a Program




I am thinking about studying abroad. Now what?

Ask yourself these questions to help narrow your search:

  • Which aspects of study abroad are most important to me? (Language immersion, program duration, housing, specific location, etc.)
  • What subject areas do I want to study?
  • Do I need to fulfill any academic requirements abroad?
  • Do I want to take classes in English or the language of the host country?
  • Do I have particular General Education requirements to fulfill?
  • What country or region of the world appeals most to me?
  • Would I rather live in an urban or rural location? With a host family or in a dorm or apartment?
  • How long would my ideal program be? A semester? Year? Over an academic break?
  • What year do I want to study abroad? (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior)
  • How will I pay for my study abroad experience? Do I need financial aid?
  • Meet with your academic advisor - Your major advisor(s) can help you figure out how to fit study abroad into your academic plans and what types of classes to take while abroad.
  • Attend a "First Steps" meeting in the Office of International Education (CL 207) on Wednesdays at 1:00PM.
  • Visit the OIE and make an appointment with one of our advisors

Where can I study abroad?

The Office of International Education has a list of all our destinations right on our website. Here you can conveniently filter out specific locations, terms, areas of study, etc.

What is the National Student Exchange?

The National Student Exchange gives UW-Green Bay students the opportunity to study at over 200 universities in the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands while still paying UWGB tuition!

I am a freshman. Is it too soon to study abroad?

No. While we recommend semester programs for sophomore standing and above, we have several travel courses that are open to freshmen. Please see specific program web pages for eligibility details.

How do I apply for a study abroad program?

You can begin an electronic application right on our website! Simply go to The "apply" button is right on the individual program page.

When are the deadlines for applying? When will I hear if I was accepted?

  • September 1st: Denmark (spring semester)
  • Septermber 15th: International Student Teaching (spring semester)
  • October 1st: Winter interim travel courses, spring break travel courses, & spring semester programs
  • February 15th: National Student Exchange (any term), Hessen Exchange (ISU & fall semester)
  • March 1st: Summer travel courses, fall semester & academic year

*deadlines subject to change (please see the individual program website for specific deadlines).

We aim to evaluate all applications within 2 weeks of the program application deadline. Faculty-led travel courses have priority with evaluation.

Remember applications are not considered complete until we receive your application fee, which can be paid at the OIE through cash or check.

I am a non-UWGB student or community member. Can I still apply to a study abroad program?

Definitely! There are a couple extra things you will need to do:

  • Apply as a special student to UWGB (even if you don’t plan on using the credits, we need you registered with our university so we can charge the program fee to a UWGB account.
  • If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, there is an extra $100 fee, otherwise charges are the same at UWGB students unless otherwise stated.
  • You can request an official transcript from UWGB after grades for your study abroad program are posted
  • In some cases, preference for acceptance may be given to a UWGB student over a non-UWGB participant
  • Details on this information are included in the online application.

What do I do if I want to study abroad through another university?

While we would love for you to study on one of UWGB’s programs, we know there are a lot of other options out there. If you plan on studying abroad through another university or program please stop in the OIE and make an appointment with an advisor to fill out a "Non-UWGB Program Form" and a “Non-UWGB Program Checklist”. The advisor will explain the steps you need to take on campus with the Registrar, Financial Aid, Housing, Bursar, and your academic advisors. The university through which you will be studying abroad (or the study abroad provider) will then be your main source of contact.

When is the deadline for the forms I receive upon acceptance to a program?

Generally within 2 weeks, but the specific date will be sent to you after acceptance.

What happens if I need to withdraw from a program?

If you decide to withdraw before the application deadline, you can do so right on your electronic application. If it is after you have been accepted to the program, please contact Jemma Lund in the OIE. Please note that you may be responsible for up to 100% of your program costs (depending on the situation) and that your application fee is non-refundable.

What semester do winter interim courses count in?

All winter travel courses count at spring semester credits

If I am taking a winter travel course, do I need credit overload approval for the spring semester if I want to take 18 credits on campus?

No, the OIE will send a list of travel course students after everyone committed to the programs and the Registrar will adjust your SIS account to allow for the overload credits from a travel course.

How will I get credit for my courses?

You will automatically be enrolled for either your travel course or placeholder credits by the OIE. If you are studying for a semester or on a short-term Spanish or German program, you will need to fill out an Advising Agreement Form with your academic advisor(s) specifying which courses abroad will count for UWGB credit and requirements. This form can be found on your study abroad application or on the OIE website under Forms.

How much will it cost?

Program costs can be found on the budget sheet for each program website. Note that programs generally do not include personal expenses and some meals, please refer to the notes in the budget for specific details.

What are my financial aid options? Will my financial aid apply to my study abroad?

All programs are eligible for financial aid. For specific information on your financial aid options, please speak with Jamee Haslam in the Financial Aid Office.

In addition to this, the OIE offers several scholarships and grants.

Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

Yes! We have a list of scholarships and grants that are listed right on our website. We encourage you to fill them out and return them to the OIE before their deadlines.

What deposits do I need to pay?

The program application fee will need to be paid directly to the OIE by cash or check by the application deadline

  • For faculty-led travel courses: program costs are all posted on SIS of accepted students and are due before the deadline (which will be determined after the application deadline).
  • For all other programs: accepted students will be informed of deposits and deadlines.

If I apply for a program, but am not accepted, will I get my money back?

Generally no, refunds (or partial refunds) of application fees are only given if a program is cancelled or if a student is put on the waitlist. A check will be mailed to the current address listed on your application.

Can I work while I'm abroad?

Generally no - if you are staying a short enough amount of time that you do not need a visa you are considered a tourist, and if you do obtain a student visa it means you are there strictly to study.

I have travelled abroad before. Do I still need to attend the study abroad orientation?

Yes! Faculty-led travel courses have 3 mandatory orientations, while all other programs have 2 mandatory orientations. Details will be given to you after acceptance.

Do I have to know (or speak) a foreign language?

Not at all! 80% of our programs do not have a foreign language requirement, but if you would like to use your study abroad experience as a way to improve your foreign language skills there are certainly opportunities for that as well.

When should I apply for a passport?

As soon as you can. Passports typically take 4-6 weeks, and could be longer depending on the season. Passport Next Step Guide

Will I need a visa to study or teach abroad?

It depends on the country as well as the length of the time you will be staying there. The Office of International Education will provide specific details after your acceptance.

When should I begin looking for a plane ticket?

Airfare is included in faculty-led travel courses. We recommend looking for tickets after you have been accepted to any other program. Remember to look at a large variety of websites; you may be able to find some deals!

How do I get my study abroad/international student graduation sash?

UWGB students who participated in a UWGB study abroad program or who are UWGB degree-seeking international students are eligible to receive a free sash from the Office of International Education when they graduate. Sashes will be automatically ordered the semester you register to graduate, but the OIE will email those on the list as a double check for accuracy around mid-semester. Unfortunately if you do not meet the criteria above you will not be able to receive a sash, per the Provost Office and new university policy.