Students With Disabilities
Library Policy for Assistance
- ESS office and the Cofrin Library should share responsibilities
for providing library assistance to students with disabilities.
a) Each facility will have its own policy and procedures, wherein it will be understood that one may refer to the other for back-up, if necessary.
- Students must give enough advance notice of need for library assistance, at least two days for extended projects.
- Library employees will give assistance to students with disabilities on the same basis as for all students, keeping in mind "equal access."
- "Equal Access" is based on individual circumstances. Whatever assistance is provided depends on the disability, e.g. for a blind or visually impaired person, to read the resources; or, for a quadriplegic, to retrieve material or assist with computers.
- All employees of ESS and the Cofrin Library should work together, to assist each other in assisting students with disabilities.
Accessible Computer Workstation:
The Cofrin Library and Computing Services are pleased to provide an accessible computer workstation. The accessible workstation is located on the third floor of the library in room CL 306B.
This Windows PC has several software packages:
- ZoomText for magnifying the screen
- Dragon Naturally Speaking allows voice input and output for hands-free navigation
- JAWS for reading screens aloud
- Kurzweil 3000 is a scanner/reader program which scans in materials and then reads, defines, and spells the words.
The library also purchased a CCTV (closed-circuit television) which can be used to magnify print materials up to 165 times their normal size. The CCTV is also located on the third floor of the library near the art slides room.
User training for the CCTV and the software on the accessible workstation is available from the Disabilities Services office. Please contact them at 465-2841 to set up an appointment.