Credit for Military TrainingHave you completed Basic Recruit Training? If you have, then you should know that all UWGB students who have completed Basic Recruit Training are automatically eligible to receive the following 14 credits:
2 crs. MIL SCI 211, Leadership and Military Science I
2 crs. MIL SCI 212, Leadership and Military Science II
3 crs. MIL SCI 221, Basic Leadership and Management I
3 crs. MIL SCI 222, Basic Leadership and Management II
3 crs. HUM BIOL 116, First Aid-Emergency Care Procedures
1 cr. PHY ED 121, Personal Conditioning
To get the credits you have earned, keep reading!
UW-Green Bay supports the proposition that it is sound educational practice to grant academic credit for high-quality educational programs conducted by the military and other noncollegiate organizations, provided that the courses are appropriate to an individual's educational program. Thus, in November 1996, the campus' Academic Affairs Council approved the following policy:
"Courses recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE) as appropriate for undergraduate university credit may be considered for transfer and must be approved by an appropriate UW-Green Bay department chair."
Note: The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services is now available online ("Course & Occupation Evaluations"). This comprehensive guide from ACE is searchable by occupation, keyword, or course criteria. UW-Green Bay students with military service who want their military training and educational experiences evaluated should take a look at the Guide ("Course & Occupation Evaluations") and then observe the Process described below. Non-military training and education that has been evaluated by ACE will not appear in this guide. Students with non-military training and education who they think their experiences may have been evaluated by ACE should skip looking at the Guide and go directly to the Process described below.
UW-Green Bay awards and treats the credits described on this page as if they are transfer credits for purposes of meeting degree requirements, residency requirements, and grade point average computation. The credits described on this page are granted toward a UW-Green Bay degree; policies of other colleges would determine whether they would accept these credits for transfer.Process: Request for Evaluation of ACE-Recommended Courses
1. Students deliver or mail materials supporting their request to the Registrar's Office. Transcripts must be official. For a list of appropriate supporting materials, read below.
2. The Registrar's Office consults the appropriate ACE Guide to determine whether the student's military and/or noncollegiate-sponsored educational experiences have been evaluated by ACE.
3. The Registrar's Office consults with each academic program chairperson who will be asked to review the student's request. For example, a student may have educational experiences in the Business Administration and Psychology areas; in this example, the chairperson of Business Administration, and the chairperson of Psychology will be asked to review the transcript.
4. Once a decision is made, the Registrar's Office is notified and the student may/may not be awarded the credit.
- Official AARTS Transcript [U.S. Army only] (http://aarts.army.mil/)
- Official SMART Transcript [U.S. Navy or Marines only] (https://smart.navy.mil/smart/welcome.do)
- Official Community College of the Air Force Transcript [U.S. Air Force only] (http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp)
- Official transcripts from other institution or agency through which course or program was taken
Last updated: October 1, 2012