Spanish Immersion for Professionals
August 3-7, 2015
Hybrid or Face to Face Spanish Language Study
8:30 a.m.- 12:00, M-F, Grammar (face-to-face or online)
12:45-3:30 M-F, Engage with International Spanish Professionals in their fields (face-to-face)
Held on the UW-Green Bay Campus
"Our student population has become more and more Latino over the years. Our students are most always proficient English speakers, but their parents often are not. I wanted to be able to call or conference with the families of my students more efficiently than always having to rely on an interpreter. I came to camp knowing absolutely NO Spanish. After only 5 days of incredible instruction, I can say that I now know the building blocks for beginning a conversation with a Spanish-Speaking person."
- Spanish Immersion for Professionals Participant
Online registration for this program has now closed. Please call 920-465-2775.
If you need to learn Spanish, this program is for you!
Spanish Immersion for Professionals is designed to meet the changing needs of professionals who are in contact with Spanish-speaking customers. With front-line professionals in mind, including customer service representatives, call center employees, hospitality workers, bankers, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, and health care workers, this program will ‘speed course’ your way through an intensive week of study and cultural understanding. Mixed into the language/grammar components will be a good portion of tailored classes specific to a number of career fields. These fields include health care and social work, education, law enforcement, business and law and leisure (travel). Thirty hours of instruction will be provided by UW-Green Bay Spanish Dept. faculty and by native Spanish speakers. You will be amazed at how quickly you will learn conversational phrases necessary for your professions and grow to have a deeper understanding of the grammar and written language structure of Spanish.
This program is designed for every level. Students will participate in an online pre-test that will determine your skill level. A lineup of experienced instructors will teach to every skill level represented by the class. Beginner level students will have an 'intensive' experience - some English will be spoken to facilitate the teaching. For the intermediate and advanced students, no English will be spoken in the classes.
NEW FOR SUMMER 2015!!
- Morning sessions will cover reading, writing and grammar. The morning sessions are either face to face on the UWGB campus or online. If your job or schedule don't allow for a full day to be away, you can complete the grammar sessions on your own time, but submitting homework in the evenings for the next day.
- Afternoon sessions will include engaging international discussions with Spanish professionals in Cornavaca, Mexico, and international film and a final exam on the last day. We will cover 'career vocabulary' plus travel and leisure, including sessions by career category. This part of the program is mandatory face to face.
- A homework tutor and language table will be available to all at the end of the day.
A typical day’s schedule
7:30-8:15 Breakfast (provided), Announcements and General Session
8:30 – 12:00 - Small groups based on proficiency level. Work on grammar and language acquisition skills according to level.
12:00 – 12:45 - A prepared lunch (included in your program fees)
12:45 – 3:30 - Spanish for specific career-related fields, including career related vocabulary, situational and cultural understanding, interactive scenarios.
After 3:30 - To continue your immersion experience after class hours, optional activities include:
- Conversation tables hosted by native speakers
- International Spanish films
- Dinner at selected restaurants
- Don't forget to leave time for your homework.
Sessions are all day, on campus, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Summer Fees -
- $420 for non-credit instruction, plus lunch and breaks. ($100 minimum deposit is due upon registration) Remaining fees due by July 28, 2014.
- Two Spanish undergraduate credits, plus lunch and breaks: $675.00 ($35.30 application fee due at registration, $639.70 due one week before the program begins).
- Two Education graduate credits, plus lunch and breaks: $1,050.00 ($47.94 application fee due at registration, $1,002.06 due one week before the program begins).
- Mona Christensen, Program Director, 920-465-2267, 800-621-2313, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration Questions: Call Andrea, 920-465-2775