PHUTURE PHOENIX BASICS
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To encourage students from underrepresented and disadvantaged
backgrounds, starting at the fifth-grade level, to complete high school and attend college,
thus boosting the percentage of NE Wisconsin graduates who continue onto college
- To provide positive role models for students from
underrepresented and disadvantaged backgrounds and allow UW-Green Bay students the opportunity to perform community service
- To create a relationship between the community, university and
- To provide fifth graders an opportunity to visit and experience their public university
- To increase the number of pre-teens and young teens who view education as a path to a brighter future
- To provide scholarships for Phuture Phoenix students who graduate from high school and attend UW-Green Bay
- UW-Green Bay college students serve as role models to 5th graders.
- 5th grade students from the Green Bay Area Public School
District Title I, West De Pere and Oneida Nation Turtle Schools are involved in the program.
- Outreach program with the following school districts: Bonduel, Bowler, Menominee Indian, Oconto, Oconto Falls, Sturgeon Bay and Suring.
- Each new 5th grade class will continue to have contact with the program through 12th grade.
- The 5th grade experience consists of:
- A pre-visit - the role models visit students at the Elementary schools
- Tour day - 5th graders come to the UW-Green Bay campus to experience higher education under the leadership of a UW-Green
Bay role model
- A post-visit - the role models return to the Elementary schools to follow up with the tour day event
- Contacts - the role models contact their students by visits, letters and phone calls
- Beyond the 5th grade - the program continues to serve these students through the 12th grade and
offers continued encouragement to finish high school and pursue higher education.
- This program was designed because Northeast Wisconsin has a lower percentage of students in the state
graduating high school and going on to higher education.
- The purpose of this program is to encourage students and to provide some of the support and tools necessary
to graduate high school and to pursue higher education. Higher education options could include college, university,
technical college, military service, trade school, etc.
- This program benefits the entire community, from the students in the program, to the UWGB role models, the
faculty and staff, the community leaders, business owners and volunteers.
- To provide scholarships and financial assistance to students who have participated in the program and show an
interest in higher education at UW-Green Bay.
- This program was founded in the Green Bay area.
- Program sites include all Title I schools in the Green Bay Area
Public School District, the West De Pere School District,
Oneida Nation Turtle School and the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
- A new group of 5th graders enters the Phuture Phoenix program
- Phuture Phoenix is ongoing throughout the year. Role models are in contact with their students on a regular basis.
Phuture Phoenix Basics
Goals & Objectives
Middle School Opportunities
High School Opportunities
More About Us...
Make a Donation
Inspiring Students to Create the Future
(Journal article in Phi Delta Kappan)