Crime Prevention Tip #1
|Crime Prevention Tips||Next Tip|
Annoying Telephone Calls
Receiving unwanted calls can be frustrating and sometimes frightening. However, in most cases, the calls can be stopped by using some simple but effective techniques.
1. How to Handle Abusive, Harassing,
or Obscene Calls:
These calls are made for any number of reasons:
- broken relationships
- an unhappy employee or co-worker
- neighborhood disputes such as a barking dog or playing the stereo too loud
- people who simply hang up if someone other than the person they're calling answers
Often they're placed by someone you know. The key to handling the calls is:
NOT TO REACT TO THEM. REACTING COULD ENCOURAGE THE CALLER.
In addition you should:
- HANG UP when you realize the call is intended to harass you.
- KEEP TRACK of the date and time of the calls to determine the pattern. This can help us identify possible suspects.
- CASUALLY SAY that the phone company is going to trace your calls.
2. How to Handle Threatening Calls
If you receive a call threatening harm to your life, property or family:
- HANG UP
- NOTE THE DATE AND TIME
- CALL PUBLIC SAFETY IMMEDIATELY