Crime Prevention Tip #8
|Previous Tip||Crime Prevention Tips||Next Tip|
Safety Tips for Computers
- Never leave your laptop computer unattended in a public place. Use a portable locking device or motion sensor alarm at all times.
- Carry your computer in an inconspicuous bag rather than one that announces it contents to would-be-theives.
- When going through airport security, try to avoid placing your computer on the belt until it is your turn to walk through the checkpoint so that it is never out of your sight.
- If you happen to be traveling without a portable locking devise, keep your laptop with you at all times, leave it in a hotel safe, or a last resort hide it in a drawer in your room.
- Students should remember to use portable locking devices on their laptops in libraries, labs and general study areas on campus as well in dorm rooms.
- Use a lock to secure your laptop computer to your desk at the office.
- If using a cable lock, always choose one made of braided steel strands and the largest cable thickness possible because it will be more difficult to cut through.
- When securing your laptop to a desk, hotel or dorm room furniture make sure you cinch the cable around furniture that is not easily lifted or moved.
- Etch or engrave your name and telephone number onto your laptop for identification purposes.
- Record the serial number and detailed description of your laptop, give to police and insurance company in the event of a theft. Keep this information in a safe place at your home.
- Regularly back up your data and store back-up somewhere else
in the event of theft.