Academic Year 2017-2018
Applications due December 1, 2016
The MSW program prepares students for advanced practice social work in a variety of fields of practice. The Program offers an Advanced Generalist concentration with an opportunity to complete
an Individualized Area of Emphasis. The program seeks applicants who have demonstrated academic potential for graduate study, readiness and suitability for advanced level social work, and who
are able to articulate a commitment to social work. In addition, the Program seeks applicants with a demonstrated commitment to human services and sensitivity to multi-cultural practice, social
justice, and leadership/advocacy. Admission to the MSW Program is competitive and, in order to provide the highest quality education and meet accreditation requirements, the number of students
admitted each year is guided by available resources.
Applicants must apply to the UW - Green Bay Graduate Studies and the UW - Green Bay MSW Program. Applications received after the deadline date will be considered on a space available basis. The MSW Program admissions committee will only review complete applications so applicants are encouraged to apply early and accurately follow application instructions. Receipt of application materials will be confirmed via the UW - Green Bay Graduate Studies office. The application process includes completion of the following materials:
- The UW System Graduate School application
- The UW - Green Bay MSW Program Admission Questionnaire
- Official Transcripts
- Professional References
NOTE: Please allow 2-3 business days for your materials to arrive and the system to be updated.
For more information regarding admissions criteria, please see Admissions Criteria
Deadline Dates and Timelines
Application Deadline: To be given first consideration for admission to the UW - Green Bay MSW Program, applications must be complete and received by the Graduate Studies no later
than December 1.
Depending on the number of applications received and available space in each cohort, we may offer a second application deadline in the spring. If a second application date is warranted, it will be posted on this website.
Admission Decisions: Applications are reviewed by the MSW admissions committee and ranked according to the strength of the information in these areas: capacity for academic success, commitment to social work principles and values, and comments from references.
Admission is offered to students based on the information provided, and in the order their application is ranked. While we make every attempt to honor students’ preference for the full- or part-time cohort, the application review process means that some students may not be offered admission into their preferred cohort due to capacity.
Notifications: Approximately 6-8 weeks after the admission deadline date, students should receive official notification of their admission status, via postal mail, from the Graduate Studies office. Following that letter, the MSW Program will send several documents, via email, with important instructions for next steps.
These notifications will include whether students are offered admission into the full- or part-time program, denied admission, or placed on a waiting list. Students placed on the waiting list will be notified by the social work office as openings arise.
Confirmations: Students must confirm their acceptance into the MSW program before they are officially admitted. Therefore, it is important to closely follow any directions that are provided in subsequent email correspondence.
Application Materials and Submission Information:
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will be available August 22nd, 2016 and are due on December 1, 2016 and must include all of the following materials to be considered for admission.
- Complete the on-line UW System Graduate School application form: https://apply.wisconsin.edu/ and submit admission fee. On the UW System application, students with a qualifying BSW degree (See Admissions Criteria) should apply for the Summer semester. Students with an undergraduate degree in a field other than social work should apply for the Fall semester.
- Complete the Master of Social Work (MSW) Program Admission Questionnaire: MSW Admission Questionnaire 2017-2018 (To save file; right click, then “save link as’ or “save target as”.) This form requires Adobe Reader DC which can be downloaded for free at: https://get.adobe.com/reader. Email your completed MSW Program Admission Questionnaire to the Graduate Studies office at UW - Green Bay at email@example.com.
- Request official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from each previous college or university attended*. Transcripts must be sent directly from these institutions to the UW - Green
Bay Graduate Studies office:
Cofrin Library 835
UW - Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI 54311
*NOTE: If you attended UW-Green Bay in the past, you do not need to submit a transcript from UW - Green Bay. If you graduated from UW - Green Bay in the last five years, you do not need to submit transcripts from any other colleges you attended if that coursework was previously transferred to UW - Green Bay.
- Identify three individuals who are willing to serve as references for you. Follow the directions on the MSW Program Admission Questionnaire and the UW System Graduate School application to complete the reference section of your application.
MSW Program Coordinator
(920) 465-2049 / Trimberg@uwgb.edu
Student Status Examiner / Academic Student Advisor
(920) 465-2679 / Bergj@uwgb.edu