Stipends and Scholarships
Students may begin applying for program specific financial support once they have been recommended for pre-admission. Applicants are encouraged to complete the Financial Aid Application Form at the time of application to their home campus.
Students in the social work program may be eligible to apply for a Child Welfare Stipend.
MSW Child Welfare Stipend
History: Since 2005, the Collaborative MSW Program has provided grant-funded educational support to MSW students who are:
- preparing for employment in the field of public and tribal child welfare, or are
- current employees of public / tribal child welfare agencies who are preparing for advanced social work practice roles in their current agencies and communities.
The Title IV-E child welfare stipend program provides funding equivalent to full-time in-state graduate tuition for students who make a commitment to seek and accept (or continue) employment in a NE Wisconsin public or tribal child welfare agency after graduation.
Criteria: Students in the full- or part-time MSW Program who demonstrate a commitment to MSW-level public child welfare practice are eligible to apply. Applicants must meet and/or agree to these general requirements:
- MSW student in good standing
- Completion of child welfare-specific curriculum requirements
- Willingness to complete Foundation and / or Advanced field placement in a public / tribal child welfare agency
- Commitment to work full-time for one (or two, depending upon the length of the stipend) calendar years in a Wisconsin public or tribal child welfare agency upon graduation.
Deadline: Applications for the MSW Title IV-E child welfare stipend should be submitted after students receive notification of their acceptance to the Collaborative MSW Program. Interested students are invited to contact the Child Welfare Coordinator, Matthew Mattila, ACSW, CISW, at (920) 465-2867 or email@example.com to obtain more information about the stipend program and the field of public child welfare. Program information and application materials are available though this link.
2014 Wisconsin Council on Social Work Education Scholarship
The WCSWE Scholarship Award is a financial award designed to provide support to students pursuing a professional social work degree, funded from contributions of social work
faculty throughout Wisconsin. The scholarship is also designed to encourage and recognize excellence in volunteerism, scholarship, creative thinking, and writing.
One Award of $500 will be offered to an MSW student of member Schools of Social Work.
The electronic application packet should include your resume and student statement. Reference letters should be electronically submitted separately by the identified references.
- Resume including Employment and Education History, Email Address, Name of School and Academic Program.
- Student Statement (Please limit your response to two single-spaced pages.)
- Describe your employment history and non-required volunteer work in your community.
- List any relevant organizations that you have been a member of including the dates, and activities that you were involved in. Describe any honors received, offices held, etc.
- What are your career goals? Be specific in how your goals demonstrate your commitment to social work.
- Please describe any unusual circumstances that have adversely affected your financial status and ability to fund your education.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from Faculty Member, Work or Volunteer Supervisor.
Email application packet to Audrey Conn at firstname.lastname@example.org (References should email letter to same email address as above)
The deadline for submission of applications is February 14, 2014. Scholarship awards will be determined by March 5, 2014. All applicants will be notified by email.
AAUW Graduate Scholarship for Women
History: The AAUW Graduate Scholarship for Women has been awarded annually to a UW Oshkosh female graduate student since 1966. Previous winners
have represented graduate programs in every college at the university.
Award: The recipient will receive an $800 cash award in the fall semester, and a one-year membership in AAUW at the time of her graduation. The award is not renewable.
Criteria: If you are interested in being considered for the AAUW Graduate Scholarship for the academic year beginning in September 2013, please note the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled graduate student with 12 or more graduate credit hours completed in a graduate degree program at UW Oshkosh.
- Graduate GPA at UW Oshkosh of 3.5 or better; Undergraduate GPA 3.0 or better
- Financial need
- Record of leadership in student activities and/or community service
Deadline: The deadline for receipt of application by scholarship chair will be posted as soon as the information is available.
How to Apply: Application materials must include:
- Completed application form
- Current resume
- 2-page cover letter addressing educational and professional goals, leadership and service experience, and financial need
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (can be unofficial copies)
- 2 letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a UW Oshkosh faculty/staff member, sent directly to scholarship chair
Evaluation of application will consider evidence of academic excellence and financial need; relevant work and volunteer experience; career motivation and
commitment to service; and professional presentation of materials. Finalists will be invited to an interview on campus.
Send materials either electronically to email@example.com, or by post to:
Dr. Helen Bannan, AAUW Scholarship Chair
3129 Honey Creek Ct
Oshkosh, WI 54904
Wisconsin Nursing Home Social Workers Association Scholarships
The Wisconsin Nursing Home Social Workers Association annually offers scholarships to individuals who express an interest in
working with individuals in long term care. The number of scholarships has not yet been determined; however there will be a $1000
Sister Veronica Carroll Memorial Scholarship awarded.
Specific information regarding the application process for the 2013 scholarship will be posted when it becomes available.
Carol Schulke Scholarship
Carol Schulke Scholarship Fund Brochure (When printing this brochure be sure the return address matches up/prints on the opposite side as the return postcard.)
U.S. Air Force Scholarship
The U.S. Air Force offers a Scholarship to MSW students. Full information can be found here.