Structures & People
Professional Development Allocation Committee Charge
According to Article IV, Section D of the Academic Staff Governance Bylaws, the duties of the Professional Development Allocations Committee are:
1. To notify academic staff of the availability of professional development funds, meet to review funding requests, and inform applicants of the committee’s decision in accordance with the “Guidelines for Use of Professional Development Funds.”
2. To report on their activities as established in the “Guidelines for Use of Professional Development Funds.”
3. To review the funding procedure and present recommendations to the Academic Staff Committee on an annual basis.
Consistent with the duties listed in the bylaws and in continued support of the Academic Staff governance goals, the Academic Staff Committee recommends the following be included in the goals of the Professional Development Allocations Committee:
1. Take the initiative to seek additional funding sources for the professional development of academic staff.
2. Oversee the allocation of monies in support of individual professional development activities and the Academic Staff Professional Development Committee following the “Guidelines for Use of Professional Development Funds.”
3. Announce the availability of funds and distribute the “Application for Funding” in the fall and spring or as needed through the use of e-mail, flyers, LOG, postings, etc.
4. Survey those departments who have Academic Staff to determine if individuals have been denied professional development opportunities due to lack of matching departmental funds.
5. Work with the Professional Development Programming Committee; review and recommend to the Academic Staff Committee possible revisions regarding reporting and deadlines of the Professional Development Committee as stated in the “Guidelines for Professional Development Funds”, 3.A, “Source of Funds.”
6. Report at the December and May Academic Staff assembly meeting the status of proposals received, funded, and fund balance.
7. Encourage persons who receive funding from this committee to share the knowledge and experience gained via their professional development activities through events sponsored by the Professional Development Programming Committee.
8. Provide a brief listing in December and May of persons who received funding and for what events to the Professional Development Programming Committee.