Structures & People
Secretary of the Faculty and Staff - Structures
Who is the Secretary of the Faculty and Staff (SOFAS)?
The SOFAS is a codified officer of the University (UWGB 50.03) appointed by the Chancellor with the concurrence of the University Committee, and responsible to the Provost in the performance of his or her duties. My name is Clifford F. Abbott and I currently have the honor of serving as Secretary of the Faculty and Staff for the Green Bay campus of the University of Wisconsin. Originally called Secretary of the Faculty, the name was changed in 1993 to reflect the shared responsibilities of Faculty and Academic Staff in campus governance and in the education of our students. Previous holders of the Office are:
- Dr. Kenneth J. Fleurant (2003-2006)
- Dr. Jerrold C. Rodesch (1998-2003)
- Dr. E. Michael Thron (1993-1998)
- Dr. Richard Sherrell (1985-1993)
- Dr. Elmer Havens (1979-1985)
- Dr. James Murray (1976-1979)
- Dr. Harry Guilford (1971-1976)
- Dr. Frank Byrne (1969-1971)
What does the Secretary of the Faculty and Staff do?
The functions of the Secretary of the Faculty and Staff can be grouped into four broad categories:
- Coordinating and facilitating faculty and staff governance consistent with all applicable campus and System policies, codes and regulations;
- Recording, compiling, publicizing and preserving the products of faculty and staff governance, including governance handbooks, curriculum and personnel actions, as well as other policy documents, reports and recommendations;
- Serving as a knowledgeable resource person for faculty, staff and administration, regarding policies, procedures, and perspectives pertaining to faculty and staff as well as campus governance;
- Maintaining personnel files for faculty and academic staff as well as records for all campus academic units and faculty/academic staff committees.
The SOFAS / Governance Office staff is ready to help in any way we can. Stop by Cofrin Library, Suite 825 or 835 or contact us at:
Cliff Abbott, SOFAS, CL 825, office phone: (920) 465-2211; office e-mail: email@example.com; Fax (920) 465-2430; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org;
Holly Keener, University Services Associate, CL 835, (920) 465-2211; office e-mail: email@example.com; Fax (920) 465-2430; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org