On Campus Hire Process (Work Study or Regular)
Hiring a Student
On campus employers may download payroll forms from Human Resources. There is also a checklist designed to aid in the hiring process. Below is information provided from the Supervisor Handbook for Student Employment (PDF).
All employment forms must be sent to the Payroll Office as soon as possible and prior to the student performing work. A delay in Payroll receiving the paperwork, incomplete paperwork or paperwork needing correction may cause a delay in the student's entry into HRS and a delay in pay. Once the paperwork is received and reviewed by the Payroll Office, the student's job is created for HRS time reporting.
- Student Employment Form (attach copy of verifying document, if applicable): This form is required for hourly jobs only. Ensure that the job begin date on the form is correct.
- Lump Sum Payment Authorization Form (DOC): This form is required for non-hourly jobs only. See instructions on page 9 for processing lump sum payment requests.
- W-4 Withholding Form (PDF): Students should write their permanent home address (not their temporary address) on the W4 form, as this is the address where their W2 will be sent.
- I-9 Form (PDF): (attach authorizing document copies): Students should fill out Section 1 on this form. Their permanent address and not their temporary address should be noted on the form. The supervisor is responsible for completing Section 2 and verifying the appropriate documents are original and unexpired. Ensure the job begin date you've entered in Section 2 is correct and matches the date on the Student Employment Form. Attach copies of the documents that the student provides for their identity and eligibility to work. For more information regarding the I-9, reference the Guidelines for I-9 Verification.
- Direct Deposit Authorization (PDF): Students should document their routing and account numbers on this form. If unsure of the numbers, have the student attach a voided check.
- Employee Self-Identification Form (PDF): The information on this form will be treated as confidential and will not be disclosed in response to a public records request. It will be used for affirmative action reporting and related University purposes.
- Statement of Selective Service Registration (DOC): to comply with Wisconsin law, chapter 230, males who are 18 but not yet 26 years of age must declare that they are registered for Selective Service to be eligible for employment. Applicants are responsible for signing a declaration form attesting that they have registered. If the employee has not registered (and is required to do so) and declines to register at that point, the employer must rescind the offer of employment. For more information regarding selective service and online registration, please direct the student to www.sss.gov.
- Employee Confidentiality Agreement (DOC): all students who have access to student records, personnel and/or personal information regarding students, faculty, staff and the general public must read and sign. (For students, this form should be kept in their personnel file within the department.)
Note: If a criminal background check is required, the appointment will not be entered until receipt of the background check and a review of the results. Review the Criminal Background Check Process handout (PDF).
International Student Employees
International student employees will need to complete their resident status and Visa Type on their W4 form. Once the student is entered into HRS an email will be sent to the student from Glacier (third-party vendor) to determine substantial presence and evaluate applicable tax treaties. The student will complete online forms, print and sign forms then bring completed forms and supporting documents to HR upon completion of Glacier questionnaire.
Student Rehire Process
Student jobs are set up for the current academic year only. To continue a student's employment for the next summer and/or academic year, supervisors will receive a spreadsheet via e-mail in May at the end of the academic year listing all current student employees under their supervision. The supervisor will need to complete this list for all students listed. Instructions are included with the e-mail and supervisors will have about two weeks to make their entries. Student jobs intended for rehire but not entered through this process will need to be submitted on the Student Employment Form.