skip to content

Student Employment

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a federally funded, need based program, which gives students an opportunity for part-time employment, on or off campus. Federal Work Study students are not assigned positions. Instead, students must apply to and be hired for a qualified job. Work Study Awards are not applied to tuition or related costs. Money earned from a Work Study position will be paid to students bi-weekly via direct deposit or paper check.

Federal Work Study allows students to earn money to supplement their education while gaining meaningful work experience. Students must be enrolled in at least six credits to receive a Federal Work Study award. To find out if you qualify, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Although many students qualify, Work Study is not offered to all eligible students because of limited funding.The Financial Aid Office makes a conscious attempt to support the employment needs of all UW-Green Bay students to the greatest extent possible. As a result, students can have their name placed on a Work Study waitlist if they were not awarded funding and would like to be considered.

Work Study Waitlist Request

Students who have already been awarded a Financial Aid Package from UW-Green Bay, can view their awards on the Student Information System (SIS). If you were awarded Federal Work Study, it would appear in SIS.

Work Study Eligibility

To qualify for a Work Study award a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen (as determined by FAFSA)
  • Submit a FAFSA (if flagged for verification, additional documents will be required)
  • Demonstrate financial need (as determined by FAFSA calculation)
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress

Priority will be given to students who meet UW-Green Bay's preferred filing date (February 1) each year. A typical award amount is $2,000 and can vary based on a student's financial need eligibility. Work Study awards are awarded for the entire academic year and will be cancelled if a student is not employed within the first month of the fall semester.

Summer Work Study Awards

Summer Work Study is considered a part of the upcoming aid year. Therefore to apply, students must complete a FAFSA application for the upcoming academic year, prior to completing UW-Green Bay’s Summer Aid Application (available mid-April of each year). Call the Financial Aid Office with questions at 920-465-2075 or email questions to

Students do not need to be enrolled in summer courses to receive Work Study, but they must indicate a position on the UW-Green Bay Summer Aid Application.

Work Study Cancellation

When a student accepts a Fall/Spring Federal Work-Study Award and has not obtained a job 30 days after the Fall semester begins, the award will be cancelled. You must contact the Student Employment Office if you have employment with a later start date and/or do not intend to start working until the Spring semester.

Students must be meeting all Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements to maintain Work Study eligibility.