General Telephone Information
Table of Contents
To report problems with your telephone, call extension 5505.
Internal CallsTo place a call from one campus phone to another, dial the desired four-digit extension number listed in the telephone directory.
Calling CampusTo call a campus number from an off-campus telephone, dial the prefix 465 plus the desired four-digit extension number (i.e., 465-xxxx).
To call an on-campus student housing number from an off-campus telephone, dial the prefix 883 plus the desired four-digit extension number (i.e., 883-xxxx). The area code is 920.
To obtain campus numbers not listed in the directory, or for dialing assistance, dial "0" for the operator.
- Local or within 920 area code:
Dial 8 + 1 + 920 + 555-1212
- Outside 920 area code:
Dial 8 + 1 + area code + 555-1212
- The cost is $.95 per call. DO NOT use Operator Assistance to complete your call, as this would add a $2 minimum charge.
Transferring a Call
- Depress the switch hook once and release it.
- Wait for the steady dial tone.
- Dial the desired extension.
After the extension answers, depress the switch hook once and release it. The call is now connected to the other extension. If there is a busy signal or no answer, depress the switch hook twice, once to dismiss the call and again to get the original party back on the line.
Leaving a MessageIf you cannot reach a faculty member at their phone number, you can call the academic program secretary and leave a message. In emergency situations, messages for students may be left at the Public Safety Office, phone 465-2300.
Local Calls (Green Bay Area)Listen for the dial tone and dial 9 to get an outside line. After you hear a second dial tone, dial the seven digits of the off-campus number.
Long Distance CallsCalls in the United States must be placed through the State Telephone System (STS). Calls dialed directly from your office phone will be charged to your department budget.
- To call a long distance number within and outside the 920 dialing area, dial 8, 1, the area code, and the seven-digit number. You will not hear a dial tone after dialing 8.
- If all STS lines are busy, a fast busy tone will sound. Hang up and try again later.
- DO NOT place toll-free 800 calls on the STS line. Dial 9 + 1 for all 800 calls.
- DO NOT dial local Green Bay area calls on the STS. Check the Green Bay telephone directory for local toll-free areas.
To place an international call, dial the international access code 8 + 011, the country code, the city code, and the local number.
Example: To call Sydney, Australia, dial: 8 (access to long distance), 011 (international access code), 61 (country code), 2 (city code), and finally the local number. Wait at least 45 seconds for the call to start ringing. Check the "International Calling" section of your phone book for city and country codes.
For operator-assisted international calls, dial 9 + 0 and ask for the ATT international operator.
Do not place personal calls on the STS or toll system. If you are using an office telephone, call collect or have the call billed to your home phone.
- Three-Way Conference Call
A third party can be added to a call by:
- Depressing the switch hook once and releasing it. This will give you a dial tone and automatically put the first party on hold.
- Dial the extension wanted on the conference.
- After the third party answers, depress the switch hook once and release it. All three parties are now connected and the conference can proceed.
- Six-Way Conference Call
In order to use six-way conference calls, the phone must be programmed to accommodate this feature. If you are interested in this feature, please contact the telephone administrator at 5505.
To set up a conference with as many as five others at any dial-able location:
- Dial 110 to connect with the conference circuit.
- When you hear a dial tone, dial the number of the first person.
- After you establish contact, depress the switch hook or flash button, listen for steady dial tone.
- Then dial the number of the next person.
- When you have that person on the line, depress the switch hook or flash button to connect you both to the conference.
- Then depress the switch hook or flash button to again free your line to add another person, following steps 4 and 5.
As each person joins the conference, they can talk with the group while the rest of the conferees are being called.
Hang up on unanswered calls or wrong numbers and busy signals. Your phone will ring back. Talk with conferees. If more persons are to be added, follow steps 3, 4, and 5. Any person, except for the originating party, may hang up at any time without interrupting the conference.
- WisLine Teleconferencing Service
To set up a teleconference, call (608) 262-0753. You will need to provide day and date of teleconference, starting time and estimated ending time, conference name, clientele, number of lines, number of participants, and if they will call in or be called by the operator, name of moderator, if you want to have the conference recorded, and billing address.
Up to 144 standard telephone lines can be interconnected. WisLine also can be linked with other conference services, regions of the Educational Teleconference Network, or specialized networks for expanded outreach.