Monday, December 3, 2012
Present: Brenda Amenson-Hill, Rajeev Bukralia (chair), Scott Furlong, Craig Hanke, Andy Kersten, David Kieper, Sue Mattison, Dan McIver, Eric Morgan, Chuck Rybak, Mike Stearney, Steve Vandenavond, Paul Wikgren, Kimberly Vlies; ex-officio: Paula Ganyard
Excused: Jacob Fabel
Guests: Angie Bauer, Jeff Benzow, Peter Breznay, Bansal Gaurav, Aeron Haynie, Leif Nelson, Brenda Tyczkowski
- Called to Order at 11:00 am by the chair.
- Minutes from the October 2012 – correction needed to be made in that Kimberly Vlies was not present. Motion by Rybak, seconded by Kieper, minutes approved.
- Innovation Lab Discussion – background was provided by Bukralia, that this was an issue that had come up with a number of discussions he has been having with faculty. This is a brainstorming session, no decisions have been made. A handout about some possible ideas was distributed to the Council and guests prior to the meeting as a place to start the discussion. The discussion included the following:
- should the lab be physical, virtual or both?
- should be non-proprietary
- compensation/incentives for faculty need to be considered
- faculty and students need to be engaged to ensure success
- focus should be on teaching and learning, and faculty research
- should be interdisciplinary
- needs to remain flexible
- figure out how this lab connects with CATL and ATS
- Adjourned 12:00 noon