Monday, May 9, 2011
3:00 - 4:00 pm
Present: Kate Burns, Paula Ganyard, Craig Hanke, David Kieper, Kathy Pletcher, Liz Leist, Kathy Pletcher, Tim Sewall, Mike Stearney, Zach Voelz, Scott Furlong, Christine V andenhouten
Guest: Bridget Bishop, Diane Blohowiak, Sue Bodilly, Bev Carmichael, Katia Levintova
- Called to order - Introductions were made because of the invited guests.
- Minutes of April meeting - approved.
- Social Media Guidelines - The Council discussed the social media guidelines draft with Bev Carmichael, Sue Bodilly and Bridget Bishop. Because of ever increasing demand requests for help with social media they felt it was necessary to write-up guidelines. The Council provided feedback; specifically there were concerns about the statement that implied infringement on personal social media usage. Sue and Bridget will work on rewording that section.
- Plagiarism Survey Results - Katia Levintova, chair of the Library and Instructional Technology Committee, gave an overview of the plagiarism survey results. While the results were not a large number there was good distribution. Students identified that they were unsure about proper citation methods. Education is necessary in this area clearly, maybe a publicity campaign. Faculty thinks that plagiarism is an issue that needs to be addressed. Faculty responses also indicate that they were interested in a technological solution like turn it in.com. There is a possible system purchase of this product pending.
- Music Technology Smart Music Plan - Request to add two iMacs to practice rooms was presented to the Council. These two additional machines are extras from the GAC lab, the cost to Lab Mod every other year is $600 and $100 every year for network fee. Hearing no objections this is approved and will move forward.
- Review of accomplishments for 2010-2011 - Pletcher reviewed the list with the council.
- Reviewed and reaffirmed Student Acceptable Use Policy
- Reviewed, modified and endorsed Employee Acceptable Use Policy
- Approved Computer Lab Plans for 2011/12
- Approved IT Action Plan and monitored progress on IT Plan
- Reviewed laptop and classroom technology policy
- Developed iPad procurement policy
- Developed policy/practice for use of student ID photos
- Reviewed results of plagiarism survey
- Reviewed social media guidelines
- Other business - Pletcher thanked Kate Burns for her service for the past 3 years. It was suggested that the following items be brought back to the agenda when the Council reconvenes in the fall: social media guidelines, IT plan progress report, computer lab plans, status update on plagiarism, and classroom technology survey.
- Next meetingFall 2011 TBD
- Adjourn:4:05 pm