Minutes of the meeting held 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
October 18, 2010
Present: Adam Dahlka, Lisa DeLeeuw, Scott Furlong, Paula Ganyard, Craig Hanke, David Kieper, Dan McIver, Kathy Pletcher (chair), Tim Sewall, Mike Stearney, Zach Voelz
Not present: Derryl Block, Kathleen Burns, Sharon Dimmer, Christine Vandenhouten
Guests: Barb Holschbach, Jamel Schiller
- Called to order by Kathy Pletcher 3:30 pm.
- Minutes: Minutes of September 27, 2010 meeting were approved with minor spelling correction.
- Review feedback on student photos in SIS, possible enhancements, and process for additional access: Kathy reviewed the policy and procedures for student photos in SIS. The Council discussed issues regarding how much access faculty should have to the photos beyond their class rosters and advisees. Adam expressed that the students have concerns over faculty using photos for profiling students and that this might limit the more personal touch of getting to know a student one-on-one. There was also discussion that if faculty have access to all of the other information for every student why not access to the photos as well. The next steps will be look at how this is being implemented elsewhere, to check with students further about their views on this issue, and to bring this back to the November meeting of the Council.
- Review Acceptable Use Policy for Employees relative to recent court case: The Council reviewed the changes to the Employees Acceptable Use Policy for Technology & the Internet. The following further changes were recommended:
- In the Privacy and Confidentiality of Electronic Communications on page 2 the last sentence should be changed to be a Human Resources designee and that it should also reflect that HR should always be consulted on these issues.
- Rules of Conduct and Compliance #6 regarding line administrators should be changed to "The supervisor and/or area leader or division head will inform the IT Security Officer regarding the outcome of the investigation." In addition, the * section further below can be removed.
- #1 and #15 of the section listing inappropriate and unacceptable use of information technology should be merged together and reworded to include fair use and license material.
In addition to these changes David will also contact Sharon Dimmer if the NOTE on page 5 about contacting the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance is still valid. It was suggested that this piece be removed because it is a procedure rather than a policy. No changes were made to the student acceptable use policy.
- Begin discussion on Action Plan for Tech Plan 2015: tabled until the November meeting.
- Next meeting:
- Action plan
- Bring back SIS photo policy
- Review changes to acceptable use policy.
- Diane Blohowiak will present the computer lab proposal for the year.
- Adjourned: 4:30 pm