UW-Green Bay Mission Statement
The statement is presented in three sections:
- Section I: The Select Mission
Purposes particular to the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay are stated in this section.
- Section II: The Core Mission
As an Institution in the University Cluster of the System, UW-Green Bay shares in the purposes of this Cluster.
- Section III: The System Mission
As an Institution of the University of Wisconsin System, UW-Green Bay shares in the purpose of the entire System.
The mission statement which follows describes the general purposes and character of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
When approved by the Board of Regents, this select mission statement became the foundation planning document for the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. However, the select mission statement does not in and of itself provide any particular program entitlement not specifically authorized on its own merits by the Regents.
The select mission statement should be regarded as a living document subject to change. When it is clear that modification in the select mission statement would support more effective service, a recommendation for such change can be brought forward for consideration and action by the Board of Regents.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay provides an interdisciplinary, problem-focused educational experience that prepares students to think critically and address complex issues in a multicultural and evolving world. The University enriches the quality of life for students and the community by embracing the educational value of diversity, promoting environmental sustainability, encouraging engaged citizenship, and serving as an intellectual, cultural and economic resource. (Approved by the UW System Board of Regents, September 2007.)
As an Institution in the University Cluster of the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay shares the following core mission with other institutions of the Cluster:
- Offer associate and baccalaureate degree level and selected graduate programs within the context of its approved select mission.
- Offer an environment that emphasizes teaching excellence and meets the educational and personal needs of students through effective teaching, academic advising, counseling, and through university-sponsored cultural, recreational, and extracurricular programs.
- Offer a core of liberal studies that support university degrees in the arts, letters, and sciences, as well as for specialized professional/technical degrees at the associate and baccalaureate level.
- Offer a program of pre-professional curricular offerings consistent with the university's mission.
- Expect scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavor, that supports its programs at the associate and baccalaureate degree level, its selected graduate programs, and its approved mission statement.
- Promote the integration of the extension function, assist University of Wisconsin-Extension in meeting its responsibility for statewide coordination, and encourage faculty and staff participation in outreach activity.
- Participate in inter-institutional relationships in order to maximize educational opportunity for the people of the state effectively and efficiently through the sharing of resources.
- Serve the needs of women, minority, disadvantaged, disabled, and nontraditional students and seek racial and ethnic diversification of the student body and the professional faculty and staff.
- Support activities designed to promote the economic development of the state.
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay shares in the mission of the University of Wisconsin System.
The mission of this System is to develop human resources, to discover and disseminate knowledge, to extend knowledge and its application beyond the boundaries of its campuses, and to serve and stimulate society by developing in students heightened intellectual, cultural, and humane sensitivities; scientific, professional, and technological expertise; and a sense of value and purpose. Inherent in this mission are methods of instruction, research, extended education, and public service designed to educate people and improve the human condition. Basic to every purpose of the System is the search for truth.