Title: Editorial/Public Relations Intern, UW-Green Bay Office of Marketing and Communication
Term: Fall Semester 2017
Time Commitment: Approximately 10 hours a week for 14 weeks (fall semester). If agreeable to both student and supervisor, internship can continue in second semester.
Compensation: Student is paid per hour in wage determined by student employment parameters.
Starting Date: Sept. 5. End date is finals week.
Supervisor: Sue Bodilly, Director of Content and Media Relations, UW-Green Bay
Portfolio-building and byline opportunities while assisting in the marketing, communication and editorial efforts of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay as they relate to academic programs, admissions, events, advancement and alumni relations. Other duties may include:
- Feature writing for the web and University magazine
- In depth experience in working with the Inside Blog (Wordpress)
- Assistance with internal communications (Log)
- Photography, Flickr galleries and caption writing
- Assistance with writing and editing of promotional materials including web pages, brochures, posters
- Assistance with relationship-building via social media (primarily Facebook, twitter, Instagram)
- Other duties as assigned which may include marketing, paid advertising, creative brainstorming and event planning
- Self-starter; able to work well without constant direction
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Basic computer skills
- Social media proficiency
- Published Fourth Estate or Voyageur Magazine experience preferred
- Perfect attendance unless proper notification and prior request
- Participation in a few weekend/evening events throughout the semester
- Firm deadlines on assignments
- 10 hours per week as outlined and in agreement between intern and supervisor
Skills to be developed:
- Enhanced written and oral communication skills
- Portfolio-building marketing and editorial opportunities
- Increased knowledge regarding content strategies, and workplace urgency
- Relationship-building for future opportunities
About the Office of Marketing and University Communication:
The Office of Marketing and University Communication is responsible for providing news and information about the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay to audiences on and off campus. The Office communicates a positive, up-to-date image of the University through a wide range of sources. The M/UC staff prepares and distributes news releases, produces University publications and video content, social networking content, and serves the campus community by providing advice on media relations, marketing, special events and other areas of communication. In addition, the Office is a resource for news media seeking campus sources, which can provide expert commentary on newsworthy topics.
E-mail cover letter and writing samples to Sue Bodilly, firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2017.