skip to content

Veteran's Services

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Dependents)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members (officer or enlisted, Active Duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services.

Eligibility for the Service Member

The Department of Defense determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family members. To apply to transfer your benefits, please visit The website is only available to military members.

Application Process for Dependent

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits by completing VA Form 22-1990e electronically at Applicants will be given the opportunity to electronically upload approval documentation from the service member.

Important to note:

  • VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB.
  • Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to initially apply as the service member for Transfer of Eligibility.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at