Joyce Allard Lampereur
June 4, 1998
The Meaning of the Name Allard
Formerly each person had but one name: we said: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob....without using a family name.
The practice of having two names began in France, about the year one-thousand. These names in Latin, were used almost exclusively by the nobles. Hence, the "Dictionary of the Nobility of France" has: "Petrus Alardus, in 1080; Petrus Alardus, in 1135, soldier; Guillelmus Alardus, in 1300. Much later, the name became Francisized and expanded to simple families: Francoise Alard, in 1528....
These family names were often derived from flattering or uncomplimentary nicknames. The stature, the dress, behavior, the locality of origin....often influenced the choice of these name selections.
We believe ours came from two old Gaulist words:--"all-eor" which means: "very strong", interpreted as a mark by some of robust physique; by others, as a symbol of moral worth: nobleness of soul, bravery in combat, noble character.1
(1) According to the "Dictionnaire Etymolgique of Family Names and First Names of France" by Albert Dauzat: Alard variant Allard -- ancient baptismal name of German --- Adalhard: Athal-Hard, interpreted as -- adal: noble and hard: strong (Memories de la societe genealogique c-f Vol XXV, No 1, January '74 --according to Madame Anais Allard-Rousseau)
Way of Writing Our Name
The spelling scarcely seems to have bothered our first notaries, our priests and our good people. Example: "The marriage of Pierre Alar (1723: St-Francis-de-Sales)", "Jean Baptiste Alard called Halard" (The ancient Lorette, 1729) "Joseph Halard" signed the marriage certificate, the 28 January 1788, at Pointe Claire....
In the first records, especially in the region Quebecoise, they wrote it often with a final T; that way it was written by the priests Morel (1682) Morin (1686) the Royal Notary Etienne Jacob (1686...) Likewise, they wrote it as often with a single L, as often as with two.
That shouldn't surprise us or lead us to believe that they were different families: the names didn't have as yet their definitive forms and spelling and didn't worry our ancestors.
Today, we have become more sensitive with regard to the least metamorphoses of the people. It is not so much for sake of exactitude as for the concern that there might be disagreement with investigative material, verification, passports, law suits, investigations, indexes, etc.
Jacques Allard, our earliest known ancestor was from Blacqueville, a small village in the diocese of Rouen, in Normandie, France. His wife was Jacqueline Frerot, from the region of Tours, France. This information is gathered from the marriage certificate of their son, Francois Allard and his wife Jeanne Anguille. The records from 1581 - 1669 of that region are missing. This is not unusual when one considers the many wars and invasions to that country over the years.
ARRIVAL IN CANADA
The first ancestor to come to Canada was Francois who arrived in 1666 with his brother Julien. Julien hired out to Jean Guillet, the farmer for Sieur Grignon, near Beaupre. Ten years later he married Marie Deligny, widow of Louis Bidon. In turn, he became a farmer and lived always near Beaupre. He had no children of his own but had living with him, his wife's children, Louis, Anne Francois, Marie and Catherine Bidon. Julien was the older of the two brothers. He was born in 1631 and died 25 January 1706, and is buried at Chateau-Richer, which is the parish next to St. Anne-de-Beaupre.
FRANCOIS ALLARD (1634-1726)
Evidently it is Francois who interests us, as we are his direct descendants. He was the son of Jacques Allard and Jacqueline Frerot. Upon his arrival in 1666 with his brother Julien, our ancestor hired out on a farm near Notre-Dame-des-Anges, (Our Lady of the Angels), to Mrs. Anne Ardoin, the widow of Jacques Badeau. Notre-Dame-des-Anges was situated in the neighborhood of Beauport, in Quebec, Canada.
In the autumn of 1670, four years after his arrival in the country, he purchased the farm of Jean Michot, (transaction recorded in the minutes of notary Vachon, dated 9 October 1670). There being few young ladies living in this wilderness available for marriage to the eligible young men, Lady Anne Gagnier, a noble lady and widow of Sir Jean Bourdon, of St. Jean and St. Francis, who when living, was procurator general of the supreme council of the country and chief engineer, sent to France for young maidens to come to Canada as future brides. These young ladies, she kept in her custody and was their protectress and later married off to eligible men.
Jeanne Anguille, daughter of Michel Anguille and Etiennette Toucheraine, of Artannes, diocese of Tours, France was one of these young ladies. On November 1, 1671, she married our ancestor, Francois Allard. The marriage was very formal and dignified. To the reception which Lady Anne Gagnier gave for the couple, she invited her friends:- the noble lady Catherine de la Tour Envrine, David Corbin, husband of Marie Parent and grand-daughter of Mrs. Anne Ardoin, widow of Jacques Badeau, for whom Francois worked when he first arrived in Canada, also Jean Langlois. The marriage was celebrated by Father Guillaume Mathieu, S.J. in the chapel of Beauport. Monsignor de Laval published the three bans according to Catholic custom.
To this happy union were born; Andre on 12 September 1672, who married Anne Lemarche the 22 November 1695; Jean-Francois on 1 August 1674 (our ancestor) who married Ursule Tardif at Beauport 5 November 1698, who died 23 April 1711. He remarried Genevieve Dauphin 3 August 1711. The next son Jean, born 22 February 1676 married Anne Eliza Pageot 23 February 1705. Marie was born 11 January 1678 and married 7 May 1703 to Charles Villeneuve. Georges was born 10 February 1680 and married 7 January 1710 to Marie Pageot. She died and he remarried on 30 January 1713 to Catherine Bedard. Marie Renee was born 18 May 1683 and died 9 October 1684. Thomas was born 19 March 1687 and married 11 june 1714 to Pierre Bouteiller. He died and she remarried in 1720 to Jean Renaud.
Francois enlarged his estate by purchasing other farms. The records show that he purchased the farm of Georges Stains (record of 3 June 1685 of notary Pageot) and he purchased the farm of Jean Gachet on September 1691.
Jeanne Anguille died first. She was 64 years old. She was buried at Charlesbourg with Catholic rites 12 March 1711.
After the death of his wife Francois lived with his three youngest children - Thomas, Anne and Jeanne. Anne who was about 22 years old was the housekeeper. The older children were married and established on their neat farms. Several years later Thomas married and in turn left his father's household. Anne also married the same year and only Jeanne was left at home.
After Jeanne married he took back to live with him, Anne and her second husband Jean Renaud, to whom he gave his property on the 15 November 1720 (transaction recorded by notary Dubreuil).
Six years later the old pioneer died and was buried next to his wife in St. Charles Boromee Cemetery at Charlesbourg.
JEAN FRANCOIS ALLARD
Jean Francois, the second son of Francois Allard and Jeanne Anguille, was baptized 1 August 1674. On 5 November 1698, he married Marie Ursule Tardif, daughter of Jacques Tardif and Barbe d'Orange, at Beauport. He was then twenty-four years old. According to the records, Jean Francois had at the time of his marriage, one two-year old heifer, half a dozen tin plates, one dozen spoons, a wedding suit and a pair of shoes made in France.
To this union were born:- Jean-Baptiste, 14 March 1700. He died one day later on 15 March; Jean-Baptiste, born 20 July 1701. He also died the same day. The third child was also named Jean-Baptiste and was born 20 September 1702; Marie-Charles was born 6 December 1704; Jacques born 17 October 1706; Noel, born 14 October 1708; and married 30 July 1736 in Quebec to Catherine Meunier; Marie Ursule born 19 November and died 9 December 1710.
In 1701 Jean Francois purchased his brother-in-law, Jean Hatin's farm, which had a 24x15 foot house, straw covered with a chimney in the middle.
Ursule Tardif died April 23, 1711, at the age of sixty-four and was buried at Charlesbourg. (Note:-Charlesbourg, Beauport and Quebec, are now one city.)
On 3 August, 1711, Jean Francois married the second time to Genevieve Dauphin, daughter of Rene Dauphin, and Suzanne Gignard. (We trace our ancestry to the Genevieve Dauphin marriage). This marriage took place less than four months after the death of his first wife. The records show that Jean-Francois possessed real estate worth 196 Livres ($38), cattle 129 Livres ($26.40), grain 94 Livres ($4.70). Genevieve Dauphin received from her parents 310 Livres ($62) in linen. The contract stated that she was compelled to educate her husband's children, at the expense of the community until they were fifteen years old.
To this second marriage were born Genevieve on 25 November, 1712; Gabriel on 3 August 1714; Andre on 22 March 1716 and Rene on 2 February 1718.
After his second marriage Jean-Francois and wife Genevieve moved from Beauport to St-Francis-du-Lac, to a place owned by the heirs of his lordship Sir Crevier, which was operated by the Jesuit Fathers, missionaries to the Abenakis, who resided in the region. The land was very beautiful. One can imagine what the trip of our ancestors was like at that time, because it had to be made by canoe, as the only route possible was the St. Lawrence River, but nothing could frighten those rough workers of the soil.
GABRIEL ALLARD (1714-1777)
The second son of Jean Francois Allard and Genevieve Dauphin was a very adventurous person as you shall note. Because of his adventurous life as a coureur de bois (traveler in the wilderness) as a fur trader, he did not marry until he was thirty-four years old.
On 12 February 1748, at Baie-du-Febvre, he married Elizabeth Proulx, the daughter of Claude Proulx and Elizabeth Robidas-Manseau, so named because the family came from Mans.
They had eight children:-Elizabeth, born 2 February 1749 at St-Francis-du-Lac; Gabriel, born 24 September 1751 and died 10 October 1751; Marie-Francois, born 24 September 1751; Marie Marguerite, born 10 June 1753 and died 5 August 1773; Joseph, born 28 November 1754, Michel born 20 October 1756; Francois born 28 June 1758, Jean-Baptiste born 21 May 1761.
Gabriel had an adventurous spirit and in his younger days was occupied actively in the fur trade which at one time except for farming was the chief means of employment for the offspring of the numerous families. This trading was done in the area around the Great Lakes reaching as far as Green Bay. This area was claimed by the French at that time and was complete wilderness inhabited by Indians. Forts were located at Detroit, Michillimackinac and Green Bay. The vehicle of travel was the canoe paddled by these hardy woodsmen with the help of Indian guides. Numerous men were needed as paddlers for the canoes, trappers to catch the fur bearing animals or trade with the Indians and to transport the furs, merchandise to trade, provisions, etc. to the trading posts in the far flung wilderness of what is now Wisconsin and Michigan. Weapons, tools and equipment were needed. Forts had to be built, and bundles of pelts had to be brought back to Montreal. The aim of these young men was to earn enough money for the purpose of getting married and getting established near their parents or relatives and to satisfy their appetite for adventure.
Our ancestor, Gabriel, made nine expeditions between the years 1736 and 1752. A permit was needed from the Governor before embarking on a fur trading mission, therefore these voyages are recorded. (See "Canadian Passports" at the University of Wisconsin, Green Bay Library-Special Collections Section).
If we note the dates of these expeditions, we realize that Canada and the Great Lakes Region were still claimed by France, and the United States only came to be in 1776. Therefore, England was still in control of the colonies of America. We can thus appreciate that our ancestors played a part in opening up civilization in our part of the country with was at that time a wilderness of forests, lakes and rivers, inhabited by the Indians.
In 1761, with the family growing up, they moved to Baie-du-Febvre because there was a resident priest stationed there. His name was Jacques Philippe Serrand.
On 5 August, 1773 a tragedy occurred. Gabriel's wife, Elizabeth Proulx and their twenty year old daughter, Marguerite, were drowned in the Nicolet River. They were buried in the Nicolet Cemetery.
On 30 April 1777, our hardy pioneer died at the age of sixty-three. He was buried in the cemetery at St-Francis-du-Lac.
It is no wonder that this hardy background and adventurous spirit is to be found in future generations.
FRANCOIS ALLARD II
Francois, son of Gabriel Allard and Elizabeth Proulx, was born 28 Juin, 1758. I do not have much information about him other than he married Josephte Courchesne, daughter of Louis Courchesne and Ann Chrefils/Chevirfils (?), (See Tanquay-Volume 3, page 170)
FRANCOIS ALLARD III
Francois III, son of Francois Allard and Elizabeth Courchesne, married 24 January 1814, at St-Francois, Marie Janelle. To this union were born the following children:
Francois, born 1815, married 7 April 1845 to Angele Gariepy
Joseph, born 1817, married Angele Langlois, at Green Bay 26 December 1849.
Michel, born 1819, married Aurelie Forest, died at Wotton(Beauce)
Thomas, born 11 November 1821, married Adeline Pratte, died about 1900 at L'Avenir.
Angele, born 1823, married 16 October 1848 to Joseph Forest.
Jean-Baptiste, born 24 November 1821, married 16 October 1848 to Adeline Morin.
Marie, born 1828, married 4 July 1848 to Onesime Marin.
Alexandre, born 19 February 1831, married Sophie Desrosiers at Yamaska.
Mathilda, born 1832, married Chrisostome Proulx.
Louis, born 1834, married in May 1866 to Edwige Bourgeau.
JOSEPH F. ALLARD 1817 - 1895
The various sources that I have show discrepancies in Joseph’s age. However, the record from St-Francois-du-Lac, Canada states he was born in 1816. His obituary states he was born 1 April 1811. His naturalization papers state he was born about 1816.
The following obituary of Joseph F. Allard taken from the "Door County Advocate", dated 2 February 1895, page 4, column 3, gives an interesting account of his life.
ALLARD - In this city (Sturgeon Bay) 27 January 1895, JOSEPH F. ALLARD in the 84th year of his age
Mr. Allard was born in St. Francis, Canada, April 1811, and was therefore only a few months less than 84 years of age. He came to the United States in the spring of 1838 and located in Chicago. After remaining in the then obscure settlement for about two years, Mr. Allard, went to Prairie du Chien, where he entered the employ of the government as a mail carrier. As there were no roads or highways in this state at that time, the services of Indians were secured as guides and assistant carriers of the mails.
From Prairie du Chien, Mr. Allard finally came to Green Bay and more than fifty years ago, he carried the mail through the winter between that town and Marquette, (Michigan) in the Lake Superior country. About a month was consumed in making the round trip and nearly the whole distance was covered on snowshoes. In these trips, like at Prairie du Chien, Mr. Allard had Indians accompany him. A few years after coming to Green Bay, the deceased purchased a farm at Bay Settlement. Here he was married to Angeline Langlois, and the couple had lived together in peace and happiness for something like forty-eight years. Twelve children blessed this union, of which ten survive. All except two were present at the funeral on Monday. The widow is likewise left to mourn the death of an affectionate husband.
About eight years ago, Mr. Allard sold out his interests in Brown County and removed to this city where the most of his children had already located. The funeral took place from St. Joseph Church on Monday morning, the Rev. Broens officiating and the remains were interred in the Catholic Cemetery on the Egg Harbor Road.
The obituary lists 12 children with ten surviving. Following is a list of the ten who survived at the time of his death:-
Joseph, (my great-grandfather),
Philip, A carpenter by trade
George, lived in Kelso, Washington,
Edward, went to Alaska during the gold rush. Was a fur trader out of Fairbanks, on the Yukon River, for many years, using a dog team in winter and a boat powered by a motor and sail in summer. He was killed in a lumbering accident
Adeline, married Joseph Jandrain. Lived in Marinette
Frank, lived at Superior
William, married to Marie Van Drine
Emilie, married to James Belanger, Sturgeon Bay
Delvina, married John Osier, moved to Idaho then to Surprise, Washington
Joseph purchased a farm in company with Joseph G. Allard, from Henry F. Lessey on 30 August 1848 (the year Wisconsin became a state). It was located at Bay Settlement next to Wequiock Falls. On 12 March 1853, the 80 acre farm was divided with Joseph F. Allard taking the W 1/2 of the E 1/2 of the SW 1/4, and Joseph G. Allard taking the E 1/4 of the E 1/2 of the SW 1/4. On 15 December 1887 Joseph and Angele sold their 40 acres, to Nicolas Schilling and his wife Johanne Schilling. Some of the land is presently owned by Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Ropson.
The adventurous spirit of the Allards is present in Joseph and his sons as is attested by their far flung adventures from Canada to Wisconsin to Washington to Alaska.
Not much is known about the family of Angele Langlois. They also came from Canada, where the name is to found throughout Quebec. Many by the name of Langlois are listed in the church records at Bay Settlement. The marriage record does not give the name of her parents. I believe Angele is buried next to her husband in Sturgeon Bay, although her inscription is not on the tombstone. There is however a small marker next to Joseph's tombstone with the inscription "MOTHER", which I believe is her grave. They moved to Sturgeon Bay, after selling their farm because many of their children already lived there, working in lumber and shingle mills.
The earliest Langlois in America was the brave mariner Noel Langlois, who was born in 1606. He came to Beauport in 1634 and married Francoise Grenier (Garnier) at Quebec 25 July 1634. They had six children. He died 15 July 1684 at Beauport and she died 1 November 1665 at the same place.
JOSEPH ALLARD II 1854-1935
They also purchased 80 acres from J.B. Nelis, which is the present Austin Allard homestead. (Later sold to my father Edward Allard) After several years of farming they retired and moved to Green Bay where they purchased two homes. These kept Joseph busy remodeling and repairing.
Joseph and wife Rosa (Rosalie) had nine children as follows:
Edward, (my father) born 6 January 1881 - died 27 Nov. 1950
Sarah (Mrs. Arthur Cameron) born 12 August 1883 - died 11 December 1960
Emma (Mrs. Joseph Degrandegagne/Degrande) born 19 September 1887 - died November 1969
Elmer born 9 August 1889, deceased 8 November 1899
George born 1 December 1893, deceased 3 November 1897
William born 17 June 1891, died 28 August 1938
Ella (Mrs. Chris Martin) born 26 June 1896, died 28 September 1916 in Montana
Catherine (Campshure/Robin) born 6 December 1897, died 5 May 1978
Mary/Mayme (Mrs. Earl LaPlant) born 23 September 1899, died 1976
Rosalie died 30 October 1922 at the age of 63 years in Green Bay and is buried in St. Louis Cemetery, Dyckesville. Joseph then lived with daughter, Sarah, in Green Bay until his death 10 May 1935. He is also buried in Dyckesville.
SARAH ALLARD 1883-1960
Sarah Allard was employed as a clerk in a general store before her marriage in Kohlberg. She met Arthur C. Cameron and married him 22 November, 1911. He was a stone cutter by trade, having learned the trade in his father's monument shop at Algoma.
They lived at various times in Marshall, Texas, Miles City, Montana and Green Bay, Wisconsin. Art was employed for many years at Carl Manthey monument works on South Washington Street in Green Bay until his retirement.
Sarah was a very talented and good wife. She was an excellent cook and seamstress. To this happy union were born three daughters; Rosalie (Mrs. William Huxford) 15 September 1912, Bernice (Mrs. Al Rosera) 6 March 1914, died 22 September 1994, Edna (Blindauer/Jones) 10 March 1915.
Rosalie and husband, William Huxford had eight children; Richard (now a surveyor), Lynn (Welsing), Mary, Robert, Theresa, David, Jean and Virginia.
Edna was married first to Harold Blindauer, who was a meat cutter by trade. They had one daughter, Judy, who is married and living in Kenosha. This marriage ended in divorce and Edna then married Alvie Jones, a carpenter by trade. He is also deceased and Edna, a widow again, was employed for many years at H.C. Prange Co. in Green Bay until her retirement in 1978. She now lives in Kenosha near her daughter, Judy, and family.
EMMA ALLARD 1887-1969
Emma Allard married Joseph Degrandegagnage/Degrande. Joseph was a veteran of the Spanish American War. He was stationed in the Philippine Islands. After Joseph's army service and marriage they lived in Green Bay where Joseph was employed by the Vanveghel Hardware Co. About the year 1914, they, along with his brother, acquired a homestead from the U.S. Government. Here they farmed and raised cattle and sheep. They at one time owned several thousand sheep. They went out of the sheep-raising business after many sheep died one winter after a sleet storm. The rain and snow froze in the sheep's wool and they contracted pneumonia and died. Their cattle numbered several hundred and were herefords, a beef type. Their crops consisted of flax, wheat and alfalfa for seed. Farming was hard as the climate was too dry. Many years they did not even recover the cost of the seed or the grasshoppers destroyed the crop. In the 1940's they sold their land back to the government. After selling their ranch they lived for brief periods at Laurel, Roundup, Red Lodge and finally at Cooke City, a gold mining "ghost town" of Montana with a population of 28 people. It is situated only four miles from the Silver Gate entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Here they purchased a gasoline station and cabins which they rented to tourists. Joseph died suddenly of a heart attack on July 29, 19--. Emma operated the business for two more summers and then sold out and returned to Dyckesville to live. She died at the Alpine Nursing Home 11 November 1969. Both she and Joseph are buried in the Catholic cemetery at Dyckesville.
WILLIAM ALLARD 1891-1938
William Allard married Ann Weingartner 17 June 1913 at the Cathedral in Green Bay. She was from St. Louis, Missouri. Will and Ann decided to follow Joseph and Emma DeGrande to Montana and claimed a homestead near that of Emma and Joe's in Prairie County, 3 miles out of Terry at what was known as Cherry Creek, with Little Sheep Mountain nearby. They also raised cattle and crops of wheat, flax and alfalfa for seed. Will was severely burned in the 1930's when a can of fuel oil exploded when he was starting a fire in the kitchen stove. He saved his life by running and jumping into the water tank near the windmill which was used to water the cattle. He spent several months in the hospital recovering and having skin grafts. The home was burned to the ground. Wife Ann was visiting in St. Louis at the time. He died of leukemia 28 August 1938 and is buried in the cemetery just out of Terry, Montana. At the time of his death he was employed by the government as administrator of grazing lands, being in charge of renting them to the ranchers. Ann returned to St. Louis after Will's death and lived with her sister and brother. She is still alive and lives on Locust Street in St. Louis where I visited her in 1978.
ELLA ALLARD 1896-1916
Ella Allard went to live with Emma in Montana. She married Chris Martin 28 September 1917 and they lived in Hetland, South Dakota. She contracted the "flu" during the epidemic and died 28 September 1916. She is buried in Hetland.
CATHERINE ALLARD 1897-1978
Catherine Allard married Edward Campshure in Green Bay, Wisconsin. They both were employed at Fort Howard Paper Mill. They had two children; Jeanette (Webb) and Rosella (Tucker/Masterton). In about the year 1926 they went to Montana where they were employed on Joe and Emma's (DeGrande) ranch. This proposition did not work out. Ed returned to Green Bay and a divorce followed. Catherine attended a beauty culture school and moved to Los Angeles, California where she opened up a beauty shop. After Jeanette and Rosella finished grade school, they too moved to California. They too attended beauty culture school. Catherine remarried to Durwood Robin, a dental technician. He had his own dental lab and made dentures and dental appliances for the local dentists. Jeanette was born 18 January 1917. She married Richard Webb in California. He had several horses which he rented and handled for movie companies. Jeanette died 5 December 1962. Rosella was born 20 May 1920, and was married in California to Tom Ray Tucker, a musician. They had one son, Tommy (last known address, Salt Lake City, Utah). The marriage ended in divorce and she remarried Ton Masterton, a captain in the U.S. Army. They had several children whose names I do not know. Catherine died 5 May 1978 in Los Angeles and is buried there. Her first husband, Ed Campshure, is also deceased and is buried in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
MAY ALLARD 1899-1976
Mary (May) Allard after graduation from high school, attended Door-Kewaunee Normal School at Algoma and taught in Door County where she met her future husband, Earl M. LaPlant, a life insurance agent and publisher of the Door County News of Sturgeon Bay. Earl had been married twice previously, both former wives being deceased. He had two children, John and Shirley, by his first wife. May and Earl were married 21 October 1920 and resided in Sturgeon Bay. They had one son, Mitchell, a graduate attorney from the University of Wisconsin Madison law school and presently a Colonel and Judge Advocate in the U.S. Army. May died suddenly of a heart attack.
EDWARD ALLARD 1881 - 1950
Edward Allard, the eldest child of Joseph Allard and Rosalie Debecker, was born 6 January 1881, at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. During his boyhood he lived with his parents at Sturgeon Bay, Menominee, Michigan and at Dyckesville, his father being a shingle sawyer in the lumber mills of those areas. As a young man Edward worked in lumber camps in northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan. This was a common practice for the young men of the community during the winter months as a means of earning extra money to help support the family, In the summer, they worked on the family farm. In the fall after harvest, the land had to be plowed and land cleared to enlarge the farm. Crops consisted of oats, barley, rye, wheat and peas for the cannery (Larsen's) at Green Bay. The peas were picked by hand, usually by the women and children. On 8 August 1905, Edward married Clara Villers, daughter of Joseph Villers and Odile Hanquet at Lincoln. They farmed with his parents, then moved to Forestville where he was employed as a grain buyer at the Froeming Elevator. Clara was employed as a telephone operator at the Forestville exchange.
To this happy union were born two sons, Elmer,born 24 September 1905 and Austin, born 29 July 1909. He farmed on the family farm until 1950 when he decided to retire. He sold the farm to his son, Austin, and built a retirement home one-half mile away. Sadly, he never experienced the joy of moving into the new home which was completed except for the installation of the kitchen cabinets. He died of a heart attack 27 November 1950. He is buried in St. Louis Cemetery at Dyckesville. The home was rented and Clara continued to live with son Austin until her death 13 October 1973. She is buried next to Edward in the family plot.
ELMER JOSEPH ALLARD 1906-1993
Elmer J. Allard, the eldest son of Edward and Clara, after graduating from the local elementary school (High View) attended high school at Casco, and stayed with Grandpa and Grandma Villers. He attended Casco High for three years and transferred to East High School in Green Bay for his senior year, graduating in June 1925. He then attended Green Bay Business College.
After graduation, he obtained employment with the Schroeder Hotel Chain, as night auditor at the Hotel Northland in Green Bay. He advanced in rank throughout the years to become Assistant Manager.
Then came World War II. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served for over three years in the Naval Intelligence Branch, as a Yeoman First Class, being stationed at various times at Chicago, Charleston, South Carolina and Italy.
GREGORY EDWARD ALLARD 1949-
Gregory Edward, the eldest son of Elmer Allard, married Carol Ann Beck 5 July 1980 in Danville, Illinois. They had three children; Christopher Joseph, born 28 September, 1981 in, who died shortly after birth, Aimee Michelle, born 31 January 1983, and Erik Jonathon, born 3 January, 1985. The children were all born in Danville, Illinois. Gregory, Carol and family presently reside in Naples, Florida.
RICHARD GEORGE ALLARD 1951-
Richard George, son of Elmer Allard, married Janis M. Janusiewicz in Benton Harbor, Michigan on 27 June, 1981. They have a daughter, Michelle Corrine, born 5 July, 1984.
AUSTIN WILLIAM ALLARD 1909-1985
Austin William Allard, was born 29 July 1909 to Edward and Clara (Villers) Allard, on the family homestead in the Town of Red River, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin. He was the younger of the two children. He attended first, "the red schoolhouse" and then the newer one, both of which were located on the S.W. corner of their farm. He graduated from the local (High View) elementary school in 1923 and that fall enrolled at the Casco Union High School, where brother Elmer, was in his junior year. He attended Casco High because that was where Grandpa and Grandma Villers lived and it was a place to stay. In those days there were no school busses, snow was not plowed from the roads every day or even once a week was out of the question. In the winter with its storms and roads became impassable. After one year at Casco, he transferred to East High School at Green Bay with brother Elmer, because Elmer would now be a senior and East High was an accredited school and Casco was not. It meant easier enrollment at college after graduation. They both boarded with Aunt Kate (Campshure) who lived in Grandpa Joseph's house at 1030 Smith Street. In 1925 Elmer graduated and then Austin boarded with Aunt Sarah (Cameron) who lived at 1601 South Chestnut Street in Green Bay, because Katherine and Ed Campshure and family, Rosella and Jeanette, moved to Montana to work on Aunt Emma and Uncle Joe DeGrande's ranch. In 1927 Austin graduated from East High. His Aunt May (Allard) LaPlant had been a school teacher and advised him to enroll at the Door Kewaunee Normal School at Algoma, which he did.
He graduated from Normal School in the spring of 1928 and signed a contract to teach the "home school" next to his home. He found himself teaching some of the children he had earlier gone to school with at High View. He remained as a teacher there for sixteen years, then accepted the position of Principal at the adjoining district, the Bay View School, where he remained until January 1945.
On August 5, 1931, he married Ceil Berger, the daughter of Jule Berger and Alice Bader, who lived approximately four miles away. She was a graduate of the Luxemburg High School and also the Door Kewaunee Normal School at Algoma. To this union were born two daughters, Joyce, on 17 February 1932, and Jean on 27 September 1935. When old enough they attended High View School with their father as their teacher.
Times were hard during this period, it being the "great Depression", and many were unemployed. Wages were low and one was fortunate to have a job. They lived with his father and mother on the farm. To supplement his income, Austin sold insurance for the New York Life Insurance Company, for sever years and later switched to Automobile Insurance, selling for several years for the Milwaukee Automobile Insurance Company.
He also became involved in politics and was elected town clerk of Red River receiving a salary of $350 per pear to add to the salary of $110 per month he received for teaching school for a term of nine months.
Always hoping for something better, he applied and wrote several civil service examinations, attempting to secure employment for either the state or federal government; one for conservation warden and another for guard at the state prison a t Waupun, Wisconsin. One day he received a telegram from the chief warden at the State Prison informing him he was to report at once for work. He however declined as he did not want to work behind walls. His thought in writing these exams was to gain experience in civil service exams so that when a job to his liking was available, he would be better prepared to take and pass the test.
In 1945 he wrote a civil service test for the vacant position of postmaster at Luxemburg Post Office. He received the highest rating and was appointed postmaster by President Harry S. Truman, succeeding John Duchateau, who had transferred to the position of rural al carrier. He resigned as principal at Bay View School and was succeeded by Arnold Dequaine. He served as postmaster for thirty-years until his retirement in January 1976. During his tenure as postmaster, a new post office was built and the position was made a permanent appointment under civil service with tenure for life.
He has been active throughout his life in various organizations. He served as president of the Holy Name Society and Diocesan Treasurer of the Holy Name Union. He was a member of the Holy Name Retreat House Board. He is past Grand Knight o the Knights of Columbus and a knight of Council 5644 Luxemburg and a member of Marquette Assembly Fourth Degree Knights of Green Bay. He served as secretary, treasurer, vice-president and president of the Kewaunee County Teachers Association. He was County Director of the Kewaunee County Postmasters' Association for twenty-five years, District Director of the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Association of Postmasters' Association, and served two terms as state vice-president of the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Association of Postmasters. He was vice-president of the Peninsula Belgian American Club, and a member of the Genealogy Club of Green Bay. He was also a member of the Belgian Researchers Club of Holyoke, Massachusetts and the Nicolet Coin Collectors Club.
He and Ceil traveled extensively, especially after his retirement, having visited forty-four of the fifty states including Hawaii, Canada and Mexico. They visited Europe on six occasions between the years 1972 - 1978, visiting England, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria and Italy. They made contact with relatives in Belgium and received return visits from them in 1975, 1977 and 1979. During these visits he traveled to the villages where his ancestors lived before coming to America and researched the archives for birth, marriage, and other records.
Both of their daughters are married - Joyce, to James Lampereur and Jean, to James Theys.
He lived on the family homestead where he enjoyed his retirement.
Austin W. Allard died 21 February 1985 at Bellin Hospital in Green Bay, Wisconsin at the age of seventy-six, after an illness of about nine months. He was buried at St. Louis Cemetery in Dyckesville. Ceil Allard still resides on the farm on Allard Road, near Dyckesville.
The research on the Allard family was done by Austin W. Allard. This bit of the Allard Family history is submitted by Joyce G. Allard Lampereur as taken from the notes and research of her father, Austin Allard.
Last updated: 8/6/98