During his many trips between Milwaukee and Green Bay as a buyer for the American Fur Company, he was attracted to an Indian camping ground located on the east branch of the Rock River which was to become our village. Juneau established a Trading Post here in 1833 naming it Theresa in honor of his mother. In 1820 he married the granddaughter of Menomonee Indian Chief Ah-ke-ne-po-way and the couple had seventeen children, three dying in early youth.
There are few of the original furnishings of the Solomon Juneau family left. The black stove in the parlor was used to heat the house. The large double doors of his Trading Post which was located at what is now 105 South Milwaukee Street, stand in the upstairs display room, along with an ingenious mouse trap bearing the inscription "S. J. 1814."
The portraits of the rugged Juneau and his wife in the parlor are gifts of Mrs. C. W. Lamoreaux and B. J. Husting, grandchildren of Solomon Juneau. The rest of the display items have been contributions of many people of the area who have been interested in this museum to Juneau. The home has been restored by the Theresa Historical Society, which was organized in 1956.
A bronze marker dedicating the Solomon Juneau Home was erected by the Dodge County Federation of Women's Clubs on May 21, 1938. It was unveiled by Miss Nancy Wachman of Milwaukee, a great great granddaughter of Juneau. Mr. Berthold Juneau Husting of Mayville, a grandson and U.S. District Attorney gave the address. The Theresa Village Band under the direction of A. L. Pitzchler rendered several selections and the school children, directed by their teacher Miss Camilla Weber, sang "America The Beautiful." The Juneau Home was also named the Dodge County Bicentennial Home during the celebration in 1976.
The home is open to the public on Memorial Day and every last Sunday of the month from Memorial Day through September.
Reprinted with the permission of the Theresa Historical Society. Homestead Phot by Ja,es Widmer