THE DEATH OF SOLOMON JUNEAU
It is now thirty-eight years and sixty-five days since Mr. JUNEAU,
accompanied by his father-in-law, Mr. JAQUES VIEAU, landed at Milwaukee,
then an Indian village, with no white settler in Wisconsin nearer than
Green Bay and Prairie du Chien. Mr. JUNEAU had selected this spot as a
convenient trading-post for the Indians, and here he built, in 1822, the
first log-house, and, in 1824, the first frame building, erected in
Milwaukee. The latter stood on the site now occupied by Ludington's Block
and the Sentinel office. Here Mr. Juneau continued to reside, rearing up a
family of fourteen children, thirteen of whom were born in this city.
When, in 1835, a Post-office was established in Milwaukee, Mr. JUNEAU was, by common consent, appointed Postmaster, and that office he filled for nine years. In 1846, when Milwaukee became a city, Mr. Juneau was chosen the first Mayor. Shortly afterwards he removed to Dodge County, tho' his sympathies and affections always clung to Milwaukee, and it was his oft-expressed intention to return hither and spend the evening of his days in the city which he had founded.
Mr. JUNEAU was a man of excellent sense, of generous impulses, of a kindly
and affectionate disposition, and of a lofty and honorable nature. In all
the changes and vicissitudes of Pioneer life--and there were many Mr.
JUNEAU steadily and successfully maintained his reputation, as an honest,
upright, straightforward man. The Indians looked up to him as a true
friend and the white settlers gave him their entire confidence and regard.
He had no enemies, but has left thousands of friends and a most attached
and devoted family to mourn the loss of a kind and indulgent parent, good
citizen and a true man.
We understand that Mr. JUNEAU'S remains will be brought to this city for interment. If so, we suggest that our City Authorities, Military and Fire Companies and Civic Associations, take the necessary steps to pay due honor to the memory of the earliest settler and first Mayor of Milwaukee. ---- The Milwaukee Daily Sentinel, Tuesday, November 18, 1856.