WFC

Plaque on the site of Fort Saint François (St. Francis), Green Bay, Wisconsin

Fort St. Francis site
This plaque can be found in Green Bay, on the grounds of the old train depot (now a restaurant near downtown). It is near the spot of "le fort St. François," the first European fort built west of lake Michigan. The inscription:

893 feet, north 45 degrees, 7 minuites east, from this tablet, stands a flag pole marking the southeast corner of the stockade of Fort Howard, occupied by United States troops August 1816, and almost continuously until 1852. On this site also stood the French Fort St. Francis, built prior to 1718, and rebuilt by the British in 1761 as Fort Edward Augustus. Erected by the Green Bay Historic Society, 1909.
[Return to Photo Album]


photographer: Ken Fleurant page added: September 12, 1997