Beyond the Cover: The Fine Art of Bookmaking CLOSED
During this fast-paced week, artist Kathy Hackbarth will alter your perspective on books. She'll take you on a personal journey showing you there's more to a book than meets the eye. Not just pages between two bland covers, the books you create will amaze and delight you. They may even tempt you to give them as gifts...OR you may want to keep them to turn into sketchbooks, journals, or even graphic novels. One type of book you will be making is the Japanese Stab Bound Book with a visible binding that incorporates waxed linen. You will be making several styles of books during this exciting week.
June 14-19, 2015
For campers entering grades 6-9
Instructor: Kathy Hackbarth
Kathy Hackbarth has been an art teacher in the Green Bay School System for many years. Fifteen years ago she started a small company called "Books That Bind" and has been creating fine art hand-made books and journals ever since. Ms Hackbarth also teaches in several studio workshops across Wisconsin and has offered her expertise for our Summer Art Studio program.
"The books I create have to feel right when I hold them," she explained. "Each one is different in size, color, and texture... I never make the same book twice. You can never make a mistake in creating a book... Your book will be YOUR book... as creative as you want it to be."
Daily Class Hours:
- 8:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Thursday
- 8:30 am - 3:00 pm on Friday (The Final Exhibition Show will be from 3:00-4:00pm. Campers will be dismissed when the show has concluded).
- Commuter Fee: $295 (includes instruction, lunch, and camp t-shirt)
- Resident Fee: $579 (includes instruction, room, meals, counselor supervision, evening activity transportation, and camp t-shirt). The cost of evening activities will vary depending on the camper's choice. It is recommended that campers bring $25-$30 with them to camp for activities and snacks.
- Class Lab Fee: $15
A NOTE ABOUT SUPPLY LISTS: The supply list linked to each class are suggestions. You are not required to purchase everything on the list. These supplies can be purchased at an art supply store OR at craft stores, e.g. Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, Walmart. Tradewinds, of Green Bay, will pre-package your supply orders and will deliver them the first morning of camp. More information about this service will be described in your supply list letter. Minimal supplies are actually needed for most classes and others are suggested to enhance the 'experimental' aspect of the class. Please call or e-mail us if you have questions.
Campers must select TWO classes -
Other Classes Available Include:
- Abstract Exploration with Acrylics
- Beyond the Cover: The Fine Art of Bookmaking
- Fine Art Digital Photography
- Cartooning and Comic Book Illustration
- Ceramics: Introduction to Wheel Throwing for Raku Firing
- Explorations in Watercolor
- Fabulous Fashion and Fabric Design
- Introduction to Jewelry and Metals
- Mix it Up: Mixed Media Art
- Walk on the Wild Side: Wildlife Illustration