UWGB High School Band Camps
July 17-22, 2016
UW-Green Bay's Director of Bands and Music Camps Director, Kevin Collins, will conduct the Wind Symphony. Dr. Scott Wright, our virtuoso clarinetist and fabulous conductor will conduct the Symphonic Band. A Sunday afternoon audition will determine band and orchestral wind/percussion placement. For students entering grades 9-12+, you will enjoy full rehearsals, a masterclass, sectionals, and two "choice" classes each day.
Online Registration Closed
Already Registered? - Pay Camp Balance
- Daily Class Hours: 8:30 am - 3:40 pm
- Commuter Fee: $319 (includes instruction, lunches, and camp t-shirt)
- Resident/Housing Fee: $579 (includes instruction, room and board, t-shirt, counselor supervision, and evening activity transportation) The cost of evening activities will vary depending on the camper's choice. It is recommended that you bring $25-$30 in cash for activities.
Guest Faculty and Artists
In addition to the excellent and dedicated UW-Green Bay faculty members who teach at the camps, you will be taught by some of the finest teachers and professional performers from across the country. Click here for more information about this summer’s Music Camp faculty.
- Awards: Outstanding campers will be chosen to receive partial scholarships to the 2017 camp.
- Camp Dance and other great social activities: An evening dance will be held for on Thursday, July 21st for Resident Campers.
- Final Concert: 6:00 p.m. in the Weidner Center for the Performing Arts on Friday, July 22nd. Free and open to the public.
The camp week begins Sunday afternoon, July 17th, with auditions and an all-camp meeting. Daily sessions are held Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:40 p.m. A typical daily schedule is:
- 8:30 a.m. Sectional
- 9:35 a.m. Rehearsal
- 10:40 a.m. Enrichment/Individual Interest Class
- 11:45 a.m. Lunch
- 12:35 p.m. Rehearsal
- 1:40 p.m. Comprehensive Musicianship Rehearsal
- 2:45 p.m. Enrichment/Individual Interest Class
- 3:40 p.m. Class Dismissed
Campers entering grades 9-12 in the fall are eligible to apply. All campers must be recommended by a parent or guardian and a school music director. Their signatures must appear on the application form in order for the camper to be considered. Signatures are not required for online registrations.
2016 Music Camp Brochure PDF - includes paper registration form
3rd and 7th Hour Option Classes: Customize your camp experience!
Campers should choose TWO class options. One will serve as your 3rd Hour Option and one as your 7th Hour Option.
Camp Chorus - Most popular class option
The 2016 Camp Chorus will present your favorite tunes in a performance that will inspire your parents and friends. This 'choice' class will perform at the Friday Weidner Concert.
Instrumental Ensembles - This year's instrumental ensembles will explore diverse and exciting new repertoire, from world music, to jazz, pop, and folk. This is a great choice if you want to stay on your instrument for an option hour, but learn music other than what you will be performing on the concert.
3rd Hour Option Choices:
- Flute Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble
- Jazz Lab Band (instrumentalists only-will be selected by audition at camp) Performs Friday evening at Weidner.
- Hand Drumming Ensemble (for non-percussionists and percussionists)
- Digital Sound Processing/Production
- Musical Theatre (must also register for Camp Chorus 7th Hour) Performs Friday evening at Weidner.
- Clarinet Ensemble
- Saxophone Ensemble
- Italian Diction
- Live Recording Techniques
- Beginning Class Piano
- Studio Strings
- Experimental Music Ensemble
7th Hour Option Choices:
- Camp Chorus (open to both instrumentalists and choral campers) Performs Friday evening at Weidner.
- Instrumental Jazz Improvisation (instrumentalists only)
- Pop Jazz Vocal Styling
- Beginning Music Theory
- Contemporary Percussion Ensemble (percussionists only)
- Beginning Class Piano
- History of Rock and Hip Hop
What about Jazz Camp?
Due to some restructuring in the music camps, we've integrated Jazz Improvisation and Jazz Lab Band into the High School Band Camp. Here's what you need to know:
- Students in the High School Band Camp can select Jazz Lab Band and Jazz Improvisation for their 3rd and 7th hour option classes.
- A Jazz Ensemble will perform on the Weidner stage during the Camp Concert.
- Prof. John Salerno will direct the ensemble.
- Please let us know if you have any questions.
UW-Green Bay is accredited by:
The National Association Schools of Music