Aviation Student Training Experience
UW-Green Bay's Outreach and Adult Access, in partnership with CAVU Aviation, Inc., is offering a one-day aviation experience for students ages 12-17. This training experience will be off-site at the Green Bay Austin Straubel Airport, headquartered at Tailwind Flight Center.
Participants will learn about the basic aerodynamic principles involved in how an aircraft flies, the training needed to become a pilot and career opportunities in aviation. Facility tours will include the Green Bay control tower and radar center*, corporate jet facilities, CAVU Flight Academy, and the National Weather Service*.
Each participant will also have the opportunity to take a discovery flight in a training aircraft with a FAA Certificated Flight Instructor.
NOTE: All Discovery flights will be conducted by an FAA Certificated Flight Instructor.
*GRB is a working airport and no tours are guaranteed until the day of the event. All tours are provided on a contingency basis.
Camp Health Form - Please bring with you to check-in to participate.
Online Registration Closed
- Dates: June 24, 2016 (one-day program only)
- Fees: $100 includes instruction and lunch
- Location: Participants will need to report to the Executive Air Building, at the airport.
2131 Airport Drive
Green Bay, WI 54313-5562
After entering the Airport take the first right and follow the access road to the Executive Air Buildings. The buildings are all green and white. The road is highlighted in red on the map below:
Dr. Sherwood “Woody” Williams has 30 plus years experience as a classroom teacher, school principal, and a school district administrator. In 1997 he opened a flight training center at Austin Straubel Airport in the Executive Air building and has been a flight instructor for more than 18 years. In 2008 Woody was appointed the Director of Aerospace Education for the Great Lakes Region of the National Civil Air Patrol and has conducted National and Regional Aerospace Education classes for educators and Aerospace Education Leadership in the Nation.
Student groups will rotate in-between these scheduled times:
- 8:30 – 9:00: Registration in Executive Air Lobby
- 9:00 – 10:00: Principles of Aerodynamics and Flight
- 10:00 – 11:00: Tour Of Tailwind Flight School and corporate jet facilities
- 11:00 – 12:00: Tour of National Weather Service facilities and meet with meteorologist
- 12:00 – 12:30: Lunch provided
- 12:30 – 2:00: Tour of Green Bay control tour and radar service facility
- 2:00 – 3:00: Discovery flight in training aircraft
- 3:00 – 3:15: Participant pick up from Executive Air Lobby